Can I use the Latex code used on this site on mine?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Latex
In summary, to use the math code on your own website, you will need TeX software like MikTeX, a LaTeX editor like LED, ImageMagick, ghostscript, and gsview. You will also need to configure your web server to recognize these programs and their executables. It is important to read the documentation for each program and make necessary adjustments based on your specific setup.
Xyius
I really like the math code this site uses to type out the mathematics. Is there a way I can install something on my website server so that I can use it when creating webpages? If so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need some TeX software like MikTeX, and a LaTeX editor like LED so that you can make sure that it works, and then you need a program called ImageMagick to display the pictures. And I almost forgot, you need ghostscript and gsview too. (I tried uninstalling them and couldn't generate any new images, but old ones looked fine). You also need to configure your web server to know where the latex and imagemagick executables are. My notes from a MediaWiki installation I did a few years ago (with Apache running on a Windows XP machine) says that I added the following in LocalSettings.php
Code:
$wgUseTeX = true;
$wgImageMagickConvertCommand = "convert.exe";
$wgImageMagickIdentifyCommand = "identify.exe";
$wgLaTexCommand = "latex.exe";
$wgDvipsCommand = "dvips.exe"
But you probably shouldn't just copy and paste this. I'm just showing it to let you know that you need to do something like this, but you may not even be using Apache (or Windows). Read the documentation for the relevant programs, and I think you'll do fine.

FAQ: Can I use the Latex code used on this site on mine?

1. Can I use the Latex code on this site for commercial purposes?

It depends on the specific license of the Latex code used on this site. Some licenses may allow for commercial use, while others may not. It is important to check the license and terms of use before using the code for commercial purposes.

2. Do I need to credit the original source when using the Latex code on my site?

Again, this depends on the license and terms of use of the Latex code. Some licenses may require attribution to the original source, while others may not. It is best to check the license for any requirements regarding attribution.

3. Can I modify the Latex code to fit my needs?

In most cases, yes, you can modify the Latex code to suit your needs. However, it is important to check the license and terms of use to ensure that modifications are allowed. Some licenses may require that modified code be shared under the same license.

4. Are there any restrictions on how I can use the Latex code on my site?

Again, this depends on the specific license and terms of use. Some licenses may have restrictions on how the code can be used, such as for non-commercial purposes only or for use in specific types of projects. It is important to check the license for any restrictions before using the code.

5. Can I use the Latex code on this site even if I am not a scientist?

Yes, the Latex code on this site is available for anyone to use, regardless of their profession or background. However, it is important to ensure that you have a basic understanding of Latex and how to use it in order to properly implement the code on your site. It is also important to always give credit to the original source when using the code.