Can Initial Conditions y(0)=0 and y(2pi)=1 Be Satisfied for y''(x)+y(x)=0?

In summary, a differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function with its derivatives. These equations are important in science as they can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. Solving a differential equation involves using methods such as separation of variables and integrating factors. These equations have many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They can be solved using both analytical and numerical methods, depending on the complexity and desired level of accuracy.
rjscott1

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation
y''(x)+y(x)=0
y(0) = 0
y(2pi) = 1
y(pi)=?
2. The attempt at a solution
The solution seemed really obvious to me at first
Solving the characteristic equation
r^2+1=0
r = +/- sqrt(-1)
r = +/- i
so the solution should be given by:
y(x) = Asin(x) + Bcos(x)
replacing initial condition
y(0) = 0 we get B=0 , B=0
y(2pi) = Asin(2pi) = 1, -> this is never true
so to me this means that there is no solution. Did I make any mistakes or would that be the solution?
and as a consequence y(pi) has no solution..

Also sorry if this is poor formatting, this is my first post :D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rjscott1 said:

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation
y''(x)+y(x)=0
y(0) = 0
y(2pi) = 1
y(pi)=?
2. The attempt at a solution
The solution seemed really obvious to me at first
Solving the characteristic equation
r^2+1=0
r = +/- sqrt(-1)
r = +/- i
so the solution should be given by:
y(x) = Asin(x) + Bcos(x)
replacing initial condition
y(0) = 0 we get B=0 , B=0
y(2pi) = Asin(2pi) = 1, -> this is never true
so to me this means that there is no solution. Did I make any mistakes or would that be the solution?
and as a consequence y(pi) has no solution..

Also sorry if this is poor formatting, this is my first post :D
Welcome to Physics Forums!

I agree that there is no solution to your boundary value problem. The solution to the differential equation is y = Asin(x) + Bcos(x), but there are no constants A and B so that y(0) = 0 and y(2π) = 1.

FAQ: Can Initial Conditions y(0)=0 and y(2pi)=1 Be Satisfied for y''(x)+y(x)=0?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function with its derivatives. It describes the rate of change of a quantity with respect to one or more independent variables.

2. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are important in science because they can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. Many real-world phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion can be described using differential equations.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using series solutions. It is important to first identify the type of differential equation before attempting to solve it.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are used to model and analyze systems in physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and more. They are also used in engineering disciplines such as control systems, fluid mechanics, and electrical circuits.

5. Can differential equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Differential equations can be solved using both analytical and numerical methods. Analytical solutions involve finding an explicit formula for the unknown function, while numerical solutions involve approximating the solution using numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

Back