Can inviscid fluids rightly be called Newtonian?

In summary, the conversation discusses the characterization of an inviscid fluid, specifically whether it can be classified as Newtonian and how it relates to viscous stresses. The topic also touches on the use of terminology such as homogeneous and incompressible, and how they differ in fluid dynamics. The conversation ends with a mention of variable density flows and their relevance in research.
Sklarker
I am studying an inviscid fluid. I am trying to characterise the fluid. Does it make sense to call it Newtonian or should I avoid this designation? What I mean is - if there are no viscous stresses then does it make sense to characterise it's response to viscous stresses? (That box that doesn't exist - what colour is it?!)
Also if the fluid is incompressible does this imply the fluid is homogeneous, i.e. is it better to use one or other of these terms but not both?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sklarker said:
I am studying an inviscid fluid. I am trying to characterise the fluid. Does it make sense to call it Newtonian or should I avoid this designation? What I mean is - if there are no viscous stresses then does it make sense to characterise it's response to viscous stresses? (That box that doesn't exist - what colour is it?!)
Also if the fluid is incompressible does this imply the fluid is homogeneous, i.e. is it better to use one or other of these terms but not both?
A Newtonian fluid is one that is viscous. So, if it is inviscid (not viscous), then it is not Newtonian. Why would you be motivated to use the word homogeneous in place of the word incompressible?

Chestermiller said:
A Newtonian fluid is one that is viscous. So, if it is inviscid (not viscous), then it is not Newtonian. Why would you be motivated to use the word homogeneous in place of the word incompressible?
Thanks for the feedback. My motivation is to use whatever is the most appropriate terminology! I'm trying to ensure my assumptions are water tight.

Sklarker said:
Thanks for the feedback. My motivation is to use whatever is the most appropriate terminology! I'm trying to ensure my assumptions are water tight.
OK. Then incompressible best describes incompressible.

I'm thinking that homogeneity requires incompressibility but not the other way round. Perhaps use of the word homogeneity avoids needing to say that it is incompressible and isothermal and several other things

Sklarker said:
I'm thinking that homogeneity requires incompressibility but not the other way round. Perhaps use of the word homogeneity avoids needing to say that it is incompressible and isothermal and several other things
There are much more important things to obsess about than terminology.

That's a great help...cheers.

Sklarker said:

Homogeneity means something entirely different. I've heard it used in one or two different senses in the various fields of fluid mechanics, and none of them have to do with incompressibility. Incompressible has a very specific definition.

Likes Sklarker and Chestermiller
Sklarker said:
Yes.
But homogeneity in the sense of the "constant density" of the fluid does sort imply incompressibility, unless I am not thinking of something here (it's late!).

olivermsun said:
Yes.
But homogeneity in the sense of the "constant density" of the fluid does sort imply incompressibility, unless I am not thinking of something here (it's late!).

Homogeneous does not imply constant density, though. Also, you could have a flow that is moving at Mach 2 or something that has constant density but still compressible. Further, you can have flows that are incompressible but do not have constant density.

Likes Sklarker
Homogeneous is often used to mean that the fluid properties do not vary in space. That could include density, although, granted, one could also say the fluid is homogeneous in the sense that it is "equally compressible" all around (and thereby still admit acoustic waves).

Also I may be missing something in terms of usage, but what does it mean to you for a flow to be "incompressible"? If a constant density is assumed throughout the fluid, doesn't that basically enforce incompressibility?

Last edited:
Likes Sklarker
Homogeneous is not used in that sense in fluid dynamics parlance. Homogeneous is most commonly used in fluid dynamics to describe statistical homogeneity in fluctuating quantities, such as in the study of turbulence. It might also be used to describe homogeneously mixed fluids as well.

And incompressible flow is one whose divergence is everywhere zero, i.e. ##\nabla\cdot\vec{u} = 0##. It would be theoretically possible to have a supersonic, compressible flow that still has a constant density due to other compounding effects, such as heat addition/subtraction and/or viscous losses.

Because of this definition, it's also possible to have a flow that is incompressible but which does not have a constant density. These are typically referred to as variable density flows as a distinct set of phenomena from compressible flows. Variable density mixing is a very active research area, for example.

Likes Sklarker
boneh3ad said:
Homogeneous is not used in that sense in fluid dynamics parlance. Homogeneous is most commonly used in fluid dynamics to describe statistical homogeneity in fluctuating quantities, such as in the study of turbulence. It might also be used to describe homogeneously mixed fluids as well.
In atmospheric (and other environmental) flows, "homogeneous fluid" is used in that way. Meanwhile, I think of the statistical homogeneity associated with turbulence as being a feature of the flow rather than the fluid, whereas the OP seemed to be asking about the fluid being homogeneous.

Anyhow my statement was incorrect. I was thinking of constant density along streamlines, but of course as you point out the fluid parcels going along different streamlines of an incompressible flow can have different densities.

And incompressible flow is one whose divergence is everywhere zero, i.e. ##\nabla\cdot\vec{u} = 0##. It would be theoretically possible to have a supersonic, compressible flow that still has a constant density due to other compounding effects, such as heat addition/subtraction and/or viscous losses.

Because of this definition, it's also possible to have a flow that is incompressible but which does not have a constant density. These are typically referred to as variable density flows as a distinct set of phenomena from compressible flows. Variable density mixing is a very active research area, for example.
You're quite right. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:
Likes Sklarker

Related to Can inviscid fluids rightly be called Newtonian?

1. Can you explain the concept of inviscid fluids?

Inviscid fluids are fluids that do not have any internal friction, meaning they have no viscosity. This means that the fluid particles can move past each other without any resistance, unlike viscous fluids which have a high resistance to flow.

2. What are the characteristics of a Newtonian fluid?

A Newtonian fluid is one in which the rate of deformation (strain) is directly proportional to the applied shear stress. In other words, the fluid's viscosity remains constant regardless of the amount of shear stress applied.

3. Is it accurate to call inviscid fluids Newtonian?

No, it is not accurate to call inviscid fluids Newtonian. While Newtonian fluids have a constant viscosity, inviscid fluids have no viscosity at all. This means that they do not follow the fundamental principle of Newtonian fluids.

4. What is the significance of the Navier-Stokes equations in relation to inviscid fluids?

The Navier-Stokes equations are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the motion of fluids. They include a term for viscosity, which is essential for describing the behavior of viscous fluids. However, for inviscid fluids, the viscosity term is equal to zero, making the equations invalid for describing their behavior.

5. Can inviscid fluids be found in nature?

Yes, inviscid fluids can be found in nature. One example is air, which is considered an inviscid fluid at low speeds. However, as the speed increases, air molecules can collide and create friction, making it behave more like a viscous fluid.

Back