Can Kinematics Equations Be Used for an Entire Projectile Trajectory?

• Thread starter Bengo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of kinematics equations for both half and entire trajectories, specifically for a projectile motion scenario. It is suggested to try using the equations for a bullet fired straight up, keeping in mind the signs for direction. The conversation ends with the understanding that the equations work for symmetric trajectories, but caution must be taken with signs.
Bengo
I feel like I'm missing a large concept of the kinematics equation. Up until today, I have only used them for HALF of a trajectory (initial velocity and final velocity of 0 at the apex). But can you use them for an ENTIRE trajectory? So say something is fired from the ground and lands on the ground at the same level. If you plug in the initial velocity and use the entire flight time, will you get the same final velocity from these equations?? I'm so confused. Please help me get this sorted out before I take the MCAT.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bengo said:
If you plug in the initial velocity and use the entire flight time, will you get the same final velocity from these equations??
Sure. Why not give it a shot? (The same speed, at least.)

Which kinematics equations are you using?
(most of the basic kinematics equations you get will work fine for a trajectory however long you want though)

Try it. What happens if you apply this equation to say a bullet fired straight up?

V2=U2+2as

Remember that if up is +ve then a is -ve.

What happens to s after the apex?

genericusrnme, I was just talking about those formulas for a projectile motion from a physics 1 class.

But I see that it works now, the trajectory is symmetric so I guess I just have to be careful about the signs?

Thank you!

FAQ: Can Kinematics Equations Be Used for an Entire Projectile Trajectory?

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What are the three main components of kinematics?

The three main components of kinematics are position, velocity, and acceleration.

What is the equation for finding velocity in kinematics?

The equation for finding velocity in kinematics is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

How is acceleration calculated in kinematics?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or a = Δv/Δt.

What is the difference between speed and velocity in kinematics?

Speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of an object's motion, while velocity is a vector quantity that also takes into account the direction of the motion.

Back