Can light be affected by other masses in deep space?

• Thread starter dan4blues
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses various topics related to physics, such as the effects of gravity and the expansion of the universe on light, the purpose of the Large Hadron Collider, and the distortion of light frequencies due to these factors. The likelihood is that the questions raised can be answered by correcting fundamental scientific knowledge and understanding the concept of mass in relation to velocity. The conversation also touches on how the expanding universe can affect the perception of color in light and how gamma rays can still be seen despite being constantly shifted to lower frequencies.
dan4blues
I am 17, studying my first year of A levels. I have been doing a lot of further reading in physics and a few questions have arose in my mind. The likelihood is that they are answerable by correcting my fundamental scientific knowledge as I may have it wrong.

1. If light cannot escape a black hole due to its infinite gravity, does this mean that light can be effected by other masses with large gravity's such as galaxies etc. If so does this mean that what we see in deep space is actually in an altogether different space?

2. If the universe is expanding, and the space-time fabric along with it, does this not meant that the fabric of space-time is stretching. If so, this would surely have an effect of mass' ability the 'indent' the fabric, meaning that over the past 14 billion years gravity's effects have altered?

3. My understanding of the current purpose of the LHC is to find the Higgs-Boson, a particle which theoretically gives mass to particles moving through the Higgs-field. I also understand that as a particle reaches the speed of light its mass rises exponentially. If so, the proton traveling at 99.99% light speed would indeed have a huge mass, which would be a result of it using the Higgs-Boson. If all of this is true then surely we cannot find the particle?

4. finally, as light leaves distant planets the effects of the expanding universe and gravity cause its frequency to be distorted, giving the impression of colour shift. Does this mean that high frequency gamma rays cannot be seen in the universe as they are constantly being shifted to lower frequency electromagnetic wavelengths?

Physics news on Phys.org
dan4blues said:
does this mean that light can be effected by other masses with large gravity's such as galaxies etc.
That is right.
dan4blues said:
If so does this mean that what we see in deep space is actually in an altogether different space?
It can be in a different direction, right.

I don't understand your question 2. Gravity can work in the same way for 13.7 billion years, with or without expansion of the universe.
dan4blues said:
My understanding of the current purpose of the LHC is to find the Higgs-Boson
It is one of its targets.
dan4blues said:
I also understand that as a particle reaches the speed of light its mass rises exponentially [...]
Usually, the term "mass" means "rest mass", which is the same for all velocities. The energy is increasing, and this is quicker than exponentially.
dan4blues said:
[...] which would be a result of it using the Higgs-Boson
No, as the mass stays the same (no you see why mass is defined this way)
dan4blues said:
If all of this is true then surely we cannot find the particle?
Why? The collisions are energetic enough to produce Higgs particles (as real particles, unlike the field which gives particles their mass).
dan4blues said:
as light leaves distant planets the effects of the expanding universe and gravity cause its frequency to be distorted, giving the impression of colour shift
Right
dan4blues said:
Does this mean that high frequency gamma rays cannot be seen in the universe as they are
constantly being shifted to lower frequency electromagnetic wavelengths?
They can be seen as gamma rays with lower frequency (or x-rays, depending on the shift). The effect is small for sources nearby, and very large for the early universe. The cosmic microwave background once was visible light, and is now shifted to microwaves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Can light be affected by other masses in deep space?

1. What is the purpose of "A few general questions"?

The purpose of "A few general questions" is to gather basic information or general knowledge about a topic. It can also serve as an icebreaker or starting point for a conversation.

2. How many questions are typically included in "A few general questions"?

"A few general questions" usually consists of 3 to 5 questions, but the exact number may vary depending on the purpose and context of the questions.

3. Can "A few general questions" be used in any type of research or study?

Yes, "A few general questions" can be used in a variety of research or study settings. They are commonly used in surveys, interviews, and other data collection methods to gather preliminary information.

4. What types of questions are usually included in "A few general questions"?

The questions included in "A few general questions" are usually open-ended and non-specific, such as "What do you know about this topic?" or "How do you feel about this subject?" This allows for a wide range of responses and can provide valuable insights into the topic.

5. How can "A few general questions" benefit a research study?

"A few general questions" can benefit a research study by providing a broad understanding of a topic or issue, helping to identify key themes or areas of interest, and serving as a starting point for more specific and in-depth questions in future research.