Can light waves be represented as long skinny rays in computer programming?

In summary: Regarding the issue of representing the photon as either a wave or a point as it travels though space. My question: Is there a reason that photons are not represented as long skinny rays or arrows with a start and end point that travel at the speed of light? Thank You,In summary, Ray optics assumes that rays beginning and ending at infinitesimal points are used to represent the photon. This approximation is made to simplify the modeling process, but it can result in inaccurate depictions of light.
edguy99
Gold Member
I am a computer programmer attempting to represent light rays traveling through the air, bumping into things, reflecting and refracting in some manner as they go through glass or other material.

I have had good luck and the pictures look quite nice representing light photons as long skinny lines whose length is 1/2 the wavelength (ie Red 650 nanometer light is represented as a red line 325 nanometers long, but very, very skinny). They look like light rays that are commonly drawn in pictures. I can turn on a light and have them shoot all over the place.

Regarding the issue of representing the photon as either a wave or a point as it travels though space. My question: Is there a reason that photons are not represented as long skinny rays or arrows with a start and end point that travel at the speed of light?

Thank You

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if i understand your question. When you say 'represent' and 'pictures', are you referring to the way things are drawn in diagrams in textbooks or in some form of computer model.

I would think that if you are modeling the classical properties of light (reflecting, refracting e.t.c.), you do not need to consider the particulate nature of light in your model. Photons may be represented as a little dot if you choose to but you still have to draw vectors showing which way they are travelling. A more common way of representing the photon is the wave-packet.

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sciences/Physics/QuantumPhysics/ParticlePhysics/pack.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
edguy99 said:
I am a computer programmer attempting to represent light rays traveling through the air, bumping into things, reflecting and refracting in some manner as they go through glass or other material.

I have had good luck and the pictures look quite nice representing light photons as long skinny lines whose length is 1/2 the wavelength (ie Red 650 nanometer light is represented as a red line 325 nanometers long, but very, very skinny). They look like light rays that are commonly drawn in pictures. I can turn on a light and have them shoot all over the place.

Regarding the issue of representing the photon as either a wave or a point as it travels though space. My question: Is there a reason that photons are not represented as long skinny rays or arrows with a start and end point that travel at the speed of light?

Thank You

Ray optics, which is essentially what you are re-inventing, is another type of approximation for optical systems. Ray optics assumes that rays begin and end (and can be focused to) infinitesimal points. That is, diffraction is neglected. Typically, the trade-off comes by representing the angle that the ray makes with the optical axis as a sum (approximation to the sine function)- thus, there is first-order ray optics, (sin x ~x), third order, fifth, etc.

jaseh86 said:
I'm not sure if i understand your question. When you say 'represent' and 'pictures', are you referring to the way things are drawn in diagrams in textbooks or in some form of computer model.

I would think that if you are modeling the classical properties of light (reflecting, refracting e.t.c.), you do not need to consider the particulate nature of light in your model. Photons may be represented as a little dot if you choose to but you still have to draw vectors showing which way they are travelling. A more common way of representing the photon is the wave-packet.

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sciences/Physics/QuantumPhysics/ParticlePhysics/pack.gif

Diagrams and models. The better the objects reflect the underlying physics, the more useful and understandable they are, especially in a simulation where they move around and you have to keep track of things over time. Gravity simulations are easy to do and they "look and feel" real since they follow the laws of physics.

Thank you for the sample.

Ray optics, which is essentially what you are re-inventing, is another type of approximation for optical systems. Ray optics assumes that rays begin and end (and can be focused to) infinitesimal points. That is, diffraction is neglected. Typically, the trade-off comes by representing the angle that the ray makes with the optical axis as a sum (approximation to the sine function)- thus, there is first-order ray optics, (sin x ~x), third order, fifth, etc.

Also, thanks for the hint on ray optics and diffraction. Do you know of any good reference material on the subject?

The standard handbook (available on line, for free) is the MIL-HDBK-141. It's the US military handbook for optical design and covers all the details. This is the link I have:

http://www.azmackes.net/astronomy/mil_hdbk_141/

But the site is acting up, not sure if it's gone for good.

There's also a lot of ray tracing programs out there- Zemax, Code V, OSLO, etc. Their website may have some FAQ type information available for you.

Related to Can light waves be represented as long skinny rays in computer programming?

1. What is the nature of light waves?

Light waves are a form of electromagnetic radiation that travel through space in the form of transverse waves. They are composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's propagation.

2. How do light waves interact with matter?

Light waves can be absorbed, reflected, or transmitted by matter. The way in which they interact with matter is determined by the properties of the material, such as its composition, structure, and surface characteristics.

3. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This speed is constant and is the fastest possible speed in the universe.

4. How is the color of light determined?

The color of light is determined by its wavelength. Shorter wavelengths correspond to higher frequencies and appear as blue or violet, while longer wavelengths correspond to lower frequencies and appear as red or orange.

5. What is the difference between a ray and a wave of light?

A ray of light is a simplified representation of the path that light takes as it travels in a straight line. On the other hand, a light wave is a more accurate representation of the oscillating electric and magnetic fields that make up light. Rays can be used to predict the direction of light, while waves can be used to describe its properties and behavior.