Can Limits and Simple Functions Approximate Extended Real Functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of a function and the use of simple functions to approximate it. The first question confirms that \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}[0,n) = \cup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[0,n) = [0,\infty) is true, but questions if the same is true for \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}[0,n]. The second question brings up the issue that simple functions may not accurately approximate a function that takes on the value of infinity, unless it is of measure 0. The conversation concludes with a request for clarification on the symbol used in the second question.
wayneckm
Hello all,

I have a few questions in my mind:

1) [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}[0,n) = \cup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[0,n) = [0,infty) [/tex] holds, and for [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}[0,n] = \cup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[0,n] = [0,infty) [/tex] is also true? It should not be [tex] [0,infty] [/tex], am I correct?

2) Consider an extended real function [tex] f [/tex], if we use simple function [tex] f_{n} = f 1_{f\leq n} [/tex], by taking limit, we can only have it approximated to [tex] f 1_{f < \infty} [/tex] but since [tex] f [/tex] may take [tex] \infty [/tex], such simple function may not be approximating [tex] f [/tex] almost everywhere unless [tex] f = \infty [/tex] is of measure 0?

Am I correct? Thanks.

Wayne

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first statement is correct. I can't figure out the second question - the symbol 1 after f in the expression fn= means what?

Help me out here. What does
[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}[0,n)[/tex]
mean? Or were you just defining it as
[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}[0,n) := \cup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}[0,n)\?[/tex]

the symbol 1 here means the indicator function.

Thanks.

FAQ: Can Limits and Simple Functions Approximate Extended Real Functions?

1. What is Measure Theory?

Measure Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concepts of measure, integration, and probability. It provides a rigorous framework for analyzing and understanding the size or extent of sets and functions.

2. What are the main concepts in Measure Theory?

The main concepts in Measure Theory include measurable sets, measures, integrals, and measurable functions. Measurable sets are subsets of a given set that can be assigned a numerical measure. Measures are functions that assign a non-negative value to a measurable set. Integrals are used to calculate the size of a set by summing up the measures of its subsets. Measurable functions are functions that preserve the structure of measurable sets.

3. What is the importance of Measure Theory in mathematics?

Measure Theory is used in many branches of mathematics, including real analysis, probability theory, and functional analysis. It provides a rigorous foundation for these areas and allows for the development of more advanced theories and applications. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. What are some common problems encountered in Measure Theory?

Some common problems encountered in Measure Theory include determining the existence and uniqueness of measures, calculating integrals, and proving the properties of measurable functions. Other challenges may arise when dealing with infinite or unbounded sets, or when working with non-measurable sets.

5. How is Measure Theory related to other branches of mathematics?

Measure Theory is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as topology, functional analysis, and probability theory. It provides the foundation for Lebesgue integration, which is used in many areas of analysis. It also has connections to set theory and logic, as the axioms of measure are based on set-theoretic principles.

Back