Can Lithium6 be created from Deutium + Helium4

• A
  • Thread starter Sebastiaan
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to create Lithium6 from fusion between Deteurium and Helium4 in a particle accelerator/cyclotron, but it would require a lot of power and would not be very practical.
Sebastiaan
Question, could Lithium6 be created from fusion between Deteurium and Helium4 in a particle accelerator/cyclotron. I understand this fusion will cost power, but the question but would it be possible?

What other methods are there of creating Lithium6?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Sebastiaan
Well, your own reference indicates the source of most lithium 6 is currently unknown. If they don't know, I don't know. Presumably, tritium-tritium fusion is stars has been computed to be insufficient as a source.

Another option, in the link I gave previously, is tritium - helium-3 fusion to lithium-6 and gamma.

Last edited:
The most reasonable fusion reaction is T + He-4 -> Li-6 + n.
If you want to produce a stable nucleus as only fusion product, then you have to hit its energy "exactly" to conserve energy and momentum. Energies are never exact, so the only realistic option is to hit a resonant state and hope that it decays to the ground state. That won't happen frequently. A reaction with two decay products is much more likely, the excess energy can go into kinetic energy of the products.

Li-6 can be produced in high-energetic cosmic ray collisions, for example. Reference

Likes Sebastiaan
I guess that means the energy of the Neutron is variable depending on the remaining energy after the fusion into Helium6. So basicly you do the reverse of Lithium6 neutron capture which can accept a variable energy neutron as well

That leaves us with the problem of Tritium, are there other ways of creating Tritium besides neutron dirty Deteurium Fusion?

Sebastiaan said:
That leaves us with the problem of Tritium, are there other ways of creating Tritium besides neutron dirty Deteurium Fusion?
What do you want to do?

The reaction I listed is just one example. Li-7 + anything high-energetic works as well with some probability.

Sebastiaan said:
I guess that means the energy of the Neutron is variable depending on the remaining energy after the fusion into Helium6. So basicly you do the reverse of Lithium6 neutron capture which can accept a variable energy neutron as well

There are several, as discussed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium

Whichever method you choose has its drawbacks, and in some reactions, the yield of tritium would be quite small, making this substance extremely expensive.

In some 40 years of U.S. production, beginning in 1955, only about 225 kg of tritium had been produced, with only a fraction of that production remaining on hand in storage. Because of the half-life of tritium is so short, it must be continually produced to maintain an adequate supply for whatever ultimate purpose.

Related to Can Lithium6 be created from Deutium + Helium4

1. Can Lithium6 be created in a laboratory setting?

Yes, Lithium6 can be created in a laboratory through nuclear reactions.

2. What is the process for creating Lithium6 from Deutium and Helium4?

The process for creating Lithium6 from Deutium and Helium4 involves a nuclear reaction known as deuteron bombardment. This process involves bombarding a target of Deutium with high-energy particles, typically protons or alpha particles, to produce Lithium6.

3. Is the creation of Lithium6 from Deutium and Helium4 a common occurrence in nature?

No, the creation of Lithium6 from Deutium and Helium4 is not a common occurrence in nature. It can only be created through artificial means in a laboratory setting.

4. What are the potential uses for Lithium6 created from Deutium and Helium4?

Lithium6 created from Deutium and Helium4 can be used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in nuclear reactors, for medical imaging, and in the production of tritium for nuclear weapons.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with creating Lithium6 from Deutium and Helium4?

Yes, the creation of Lithium6 from Deutium and Helium4 can pose potential risks, as it involves nuclear reactions and the handling of radioactive materials. Proper safety protocols and precautions must be followed to minimize these risks.