Can Magnetic Flux Induce EMF in Transformer Without Shearing Winding Conductors?

In summary, flux leakage is not required for the EMF to be induced in the secondary winding, just that there is a time varying flux.
b.shahvir
Hi, :smile:

I would like to understand something pertaining to transformer action.

How does a changing magnetic flux, assumed to be bound by an 'ideal' magnetic core (with zero leakage flux), induce an EMF in the secondary winding of a transformer...without the flux ever shearing or cutting the winding conductors? Can someone please explain the actual physics behind statically induced EMFs and currents under these conditions?
Thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The applied voltage (EMF) induces a flux in the iron, with a reactive magnetizing current (dI/dt = V/L, where L = the inductance), leading the applied voltage by 90 degrees. The flux change in the iron in turn induces a voltage (EMF) in the secondary winding (Faraday's law), again shifted by 90 degrees, so it is 180 degrees out of phase (remember the minus sign in Faraday's Law) with the applied voltage. If you connect a resistance to the secondary, the resistor current is in phase with both the input and output voltages.

Bob S said:
The applied voltage (EMF) induces a flux in the iron, with a reactive magnetizing current (dI/dt = V/L, where L = the inductance), leading the applied voltage by 90 degrees. The flux change in the iron in turn induces a voltage (EMF) in the secondary winding (Faraday's law), again shifted by 90 degrees, so it is 180 degrees out of phase (remember the minus sign in Faraday's Law) with the applied voltage. If you connect a resistance to the secondary, the resistor current is in phase with both the input and output voltages.

Dear Bob, :smile:

I'm aware of Faraday's laws of Electromagnetic Induction and transformer action in general. However, my interest is basically to understand how a magnetic flux confined to a magnetic circuit be able to induce an EMF in a coil surrounding the magnetic core. Flux leakage is considered to be zero so that there is no cutting of secondary winding conductors...basically I need to understand the physics behind statically induced EMFs.
Thanx

b.shahvir said:
Dear Bob, :smile:

I'm aware of Faraday's laws of Electromagnetic Induction and transformer action in general. However, my interest is basically to understand how a magnetic flux confined to a magnetic circuit be able to induce an EMF in a coil surrounding the magnetic core. Flux leakage is considered to be zero so that there is no cutting of secondary winding conductors...basically I need to understand the physics behind statically induced EMFs.
Thanx

There is no requirement for the flux to physically pass through the wire, just that there is a time varying flux passing through the area of the loop made by the wire.

It's a strange concept...

Try looking at Green's theorem (leading onto stokes theorem). To accept that green's theorem is correct requires the same leap of faith you need to accept that flux through a loop can induce a voltage in the loop. I would recommend typing 'green's theorem MIT' into youtube and watching the lecture by Prof. Auroux.

FAQ: Can Magnetic Flux Induce EMF in Transformer Without Shearing Winding Conductors?

1. What is induction in transformers?

Induction in transformers is the process by which a changing magnetic field induces a voltage in a nearby conductor. This voltage can then be used to transfer energy from one circuit to another, making transformers essential in the distribution of electricity.

2. How does induction work in transformers?

Induction in transformers works through the principle of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce a voltage in a conductor. In transformers, this is achieved by using two coils of wire - a primary coil and a secondary coil - wrapped around a shared iron core. When an alternating current is passed through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field that then induces a voltage in the secondary coil.

3. What factors affect the level of induction in transformers?

The level of induction in transformers can be affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coils, the strength of the magnetic field, the material and size of the core, and the frequency of the alternating current. These factors can be adjusted in transformer design to achieve the desired level of voltage transformation.

4. How is induction utilized in different types of transformers?

Induction is utilized in different types of transformers such as step-up and step-down transformers, auto-transformers, and isolation transformers. In step-up transformers, the number of turns in the secondary coil is greater than the primary coil, increasing the voltage. In step-down transformers, the secondary coil has fewer turns, resulting in a decrease in voltage. Auto-transformers use a single coil with two taps to adjust the voltage, while isolation transformers are designed to isolate two circuits from each other.

5. What are some applications of induction in transformers?

Induction in transformers has various applications, including power distribution, voltage regulation, and electrical isolation. Transformers are used in power grids to step up or step down the voltage for efficient transmission and distribution of electricity. They are also used in electronic devices to convert high voltages to lower, usable levels. Additionally, transformers are used in electrical isolation to protect sensitive equipment from power surges and to prevent electric shocks in homes and buildings.