Can Mathjax Change the Default Style for Vectors to Bold-Face?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Request
In summary, it would be possible to change the default style for vectors from over-arrows (\vec{x}) to bold-face (\boldsymbol{x})? The latter is much easier on the eyes, looks less cluttered and is favoured by most publications (at least the ones I read). However, it doesn't really matter, as long as context clarifies notation, but the one reason I'd object to this change is because it will mess up any previously written posts using both notations to distinguish between 3-space and 4-space vectors, which might be a big chunk of the threads in relativity sub-section.
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Would is be possible to change the default style for vectors from over-arrows ([itex]\vec{x}[/itex]) to bold-face ([itex]\boldsymbol{x}[/itex])? The latter is much easier on the eyes, looks less cluttered and is favoured by most publications (at least the ones I read).

If it were a [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] document, it would be very easy to implement using the \renewcommand command. However, is the same possible with Mathjax?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bold-face is used in publication primarily because it used to be significantly easier to typeset. These days, it isn't nearly as much of an issue, so more and more texts using over-arrow are popping up.

It doesn't really matter, as long as context clarifies notation, but the one reason I'd object to this change is because it will mess up any previously written posts using both notations to distinguish between 3-space and 4-space vectors, which might be a big chunk of the threads in relativity sub-section.

Besides, people who prefer bold-face already use it. And people who prefer over-arrow will continue using it. Simply switching the default behavior of \vec won't really convince either, and so isn't worth any confusion that might arise.

K^2 said:
It doesn't really matter, as long as context clarifies notation, but the one reason I'd object to this change is because it will mess up any previously written posts using both notations to distinguish between 3-space and 4-space vectors, which might be a big chunk of the threads in relativity sub-section.
Fair enough, that's a good enough reason for me!

K^2 said:
Besides, people who prefer bold-face already use it. And people who prefer over-arrow will continue using it. Simply switching the default behavior of \vec won't really convince either, and so isn't worth any confusion that might arise.
I know, but \boldsymbol is soooo much longer than \vec :wink:

You don't need to write \boldsymbol. \mathbf{x} works ("math-bold-font").

Ben Niehoff said:
Unfortunately, not for symbols :frown:

Code:
[tex]\mathbf{\xi}[/tex]
[tex]\mathbf{\xi}[/tex]
Code:
[tex]\boldsymbol{\xi}[/tex]
[tex]\boldsymbol{\xi}[/tex]

If you were writing, you could make a macro.

Code:
[tex]
\def\VEC{\boldsymbol}

\VEC{\xi}
[/tex]

[tex]\def\VEC{\boldsymbol}

\VEC{\xi}[/tex]

For intro students, I think it's better for them to see the arrowhead
since I doubt they'll write vectors in boldface, like some of their textbooks do. :(
[Maybe the trend is reversing.]

My 2[itex]c \hspace{-1ex}/[/itex].

Ben Niehoff said:
As Hoot (welcome back!) already noted, \mathbf doesn't work on symbols. It also doesn't work quite right on the letter 'a', and it isn't in italics.

{\mathbf a} versus {\boldsymbol a}:
[tex]{\mathbf a}\, \text{versus}\, {\boldsymbol a}[/tex]

Personally, I like un-italicized, capital letters in \mathbf for matrices, italicized \boldsymbol for vectors:

{\boldsymbol u} = {\mathbf T}{\boldsymbol x}
[tex]{\boldsymbol u} = {\mathbf T}{\boldsymbol x}[/tex]

FAQ: Can Mathjax Change the Default Style for Vectors to Bold-Face?

What is [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] and why is it used?

[itex]\LaTeX[/itex] is a typesetting language used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and technology. It allows for precise control over formatting, equations, and references, making it popular among academics and researchers.

How do I get started with [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]?

To get started with [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], you will need to download and install a [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] distribution such as TeX Live or MiKTeX. You will also need a text editor, such as TeXworks or TeXstudio, to write your [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] code. There are many online resources available to help beginners learn [itex]\LaTeX[/itex], including tutorials, forums, and templates.

How do I create equations in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex]?

Can I include figures and tables in my [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] document?

Yes, [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] allows for the inclusion of figures and tables in your document. You can use the graphicx package to insert images, and the tabular environment to create tables. You can also add captions and labels to your figures and tables for easy referencing within the document.

Can I collaborate with others on a [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] document?

Yes, [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] documents can be easily shared and collaborated on using version control systems such as GitHub. You can also use tools like Overleaf, which allow for real-time collaboration on [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] documents. Additionally, you can use the comment and track changes features to make edits and provide feedback on a shared document.