Can modern science explain the aura around people?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "auras" and whether they can be scientifically explained. The individual asking the question has been practicing Chinese martial arts and qigong meditation and claims to be able to see and sense these auras around people. They wonder if there is any legitimate scientific research on the subject and if auras could be related to electromagnetic fields. The conversation also touches on the credibility of traditional Chinese medicine and the lack of evidence for the existence of auras. Ultimately, the discussion concludes that auras have not been scientifically proven and may be a result of hallucination or conditioning.
xinyi
Hi,
I know that this question might sound absurd, so if it's against the forum's rules feel free to move it or delete it.

I have been practicing Chinese martial arts and qigong meditation for a number of years and have been wondering if the aura that I can see and sense around people can be explained by modern science or if there has been any legitimate scientific research done about it.

Basically these auras look like giant electromagnetic fields around everything made of tiny particles and touching them also gives you a feeling of electromagnetism. Is it possible that aura/qi/prana/... are somehow related to electromagnetic fields and that humans can also learn to see them like some other animals?

Physics news on Phys.org
Define "aura" in a scientific way, and maybe science can answer your question. I would expect the most interesting answers from psychology, but that is just a personal guess.

Basically these auras look like giant electromagnetic fields
How do electromagnetic fields look? This is a very non-trivial question! Have you ever seen a macroscopic electromagnetic field? Not photons in the range of visible light emitted from some object, but the actual field?

and touching them also gives you a feeling of electromagnetism
What is a feeling of electromagnetism? Which sense reacts in which way?

Is it possible that aura/qi/prana/... are somehow related to electromagnetic fields and that humans can also learn to see them like some other animals?
Electric fields in the way you describe it here don't exist (>99% confidence).

Sorry for my ignorance about scientific terms. My major is traditional Chinese medicine and I have forgotten the little I knew about physics long time ago. Here is an image of what I can see. Basically the aura is colorful mainly yellow or green and for me it's easier to see it when the room is a little bit dark. It is mainly made of tiny strings and has a few layers, the closer the layer is to the body the denser the color gets. There is a clear border between each layer and when I touch each layer I can feel some kind of resistance similar to two magnets repelling each other and when I try it on people most of them can also feel this resistance to some extent. This is mostly my subjective experience but there is a lot of information about it on the internet. So far I have only done one small test for comparing my observation with other people who can also see aura. I asked two of my friends to see the change in the aura of a patient before and after a TCM treatment, in that test we all noticed a change in the color of one part of the aura to dark purple.

Attachments

• DSC00383.jpg
    DSC00383.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,072
xinyi said:
I asked two of my friends to see the change in the aura of a patient before and after a TCM treatment, in that test we all noticed a change in the color of one part of the aura to dark purple.
If you can repeat this within a controlled scientific environment, you can go for one of these prizes.
Otherwise, psychology might be able to find explanations for that. But that would not include any aura, just an explanation why your brain comes to the conclusion that there are the effects you describe.

There is no scientific evidence that aura's exist. All investigations into them have revealed nothing, nor has any plausible explanation for their mechanism ever been proposed. If you can see auras (and by "see" I mean literally physically see) then it is most likely indicative of hallucination, if you can see with your "mind's eye" (in other words get an impression but not literally see it) then it is likely a product of conditioning i.e. you want to/expect to interpret people this way or something a long the lines of synaesthesia.

Also please note that traditional Chinese medicine is mostly not credible because the methods to derive it are not evidence based. It is a form of alternative medicine that bases a lot of its principles of un-evidenced mythology rather than a consideration of empirical evidence. That isn't to say there aren't possibly medicines that work but the method for their production is not empirical (and to date we have no better paradigm for determining facts about the world around us and using them to our advantage) and the principles behind it are often flawed.

Finally this thread does not meet the criteria for forum rules as it's basis is in a claim for which there is no evidence and indeed evidence against it. Closed.

Related to Can modern science explain the aura around people?

1. Can modern science prove that auras exist?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence that supports the existence of auras. While some people may claim to see or feel auras, these experiences are subjective and cannot be scientifically reproduced or measured.

2. How do people claim to see auras?

People who claim to see auras often describe them as a colorful or glowing energy field surrounding a person's body. However, these experiences are not based on any scientific evidence and are likely influenced by factors such as lighting, eye fatigue, and imagination.

3. Are auras related to electromagnetic fields?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that auras are related to electromagnetic fields or any other physical phenomena. While electromagnetic fields are a part of modern science, the concept of auras is not supported by scientific research.

4. Can auras be captured or measured using scientific instruments?

No, auras cannot be captured or measured using scientific instruments. The concept of auras is based on subjective experiences and is not supported by any objective measurements or scientific data.

5. Are there any scientific explanations for the belief in auras?

The belief in auras may stem from cultural or spiritual beliefs, and can also be influenced by psychological factors such as suggestion and confirmation bias. However, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of auras as a physical or measurable phenomenon.