Can P(x) be factored into irreducible polynomials over Z_5?

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps to write P(x) = x^3+2x+3 as the product of irreducible polynomials over Z_5 using polynomial division. The final answer is (x+3)(x+1)(x-4) with the reminder being x^3-3x-2 mod 5. The conversation also mentions the importance of checking the answer by multiplying it out and reducing the coefficients mod 5.
beetle2

Homework Statement

Write [itex]P(x) = x^3+2x+3 [/itex] as the product of Irreducible Polynomials over [itex]Z_5[/itex]

Homework Equations

Polynomial division

The Attempt at a Solution

I start out by taking out a factor of [itex]x+3[/itex]

That is

[itex]x+3 \div x^3+2x+3 [/itex]

I get [itex]P(x) = x^2-3x+1 [/itex] which has zero remainder mod 5.

Is the product of irreducible polynomial [itex](x+3) (x^2-3x+1) [/itex]

or do I reduce [itex]P(x) = x^2-3x+1 [/itex] by taking out a factor of x+1 ie

[itex]x+1 \div x^2-3x+1 [/itex]

I know the irreducible polynomials coefficients should add up to the original degree ,So I have one with degree 1 and the second with degree 2.

am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, a product of irreducible polynomials requires all your polynomials to be irreducible.

You're on the right track, the question now is: is x+3 irreducible, and is x2-3x+1 irreducible?

I evaluated

[itex]x+1 \div x^2-3x+1 [/itex]

which is [itex]P(X)= x-4[/itex] zero remainder mod 5

So I have three irreducible Polynomials whose degrees add to three ie

[itex](x+3)(x+1)(x-4) [/itex]

Hows that look

Is there a way to check that my answer is right?

beetle2 said:
Is there a way to check that my answer is right?

Multiply your product out and reduce the coefficients mod 5.

I multiply it out and get

[itex]x^3-13x-12[/itex] which is [itex]x^3-3x-2[/itex]mod 5 so I'm doing something wrong.

beetle2 said:
I multiply it out and get

[itex]x^3-13x-12[/itex] which is [itex]x^3-3x-2[/itex]mod 5 so I'm doing something wrong.

Don't forget 2=(-3) and 3=(-2) mod 5.

I think I need some more practice, It can get confusing just doing ordinary polynomial division without having modulo as well
[itex]x^3+2x+3[/itex]

thanks for your help

FAQ: Can P(x) be factored into irreducible polynomials over Z_5?

What are irreducible polynomials?

Irreducible polynomials are polynomials with no factors that can be further factored into smaller polynomials with coefficients from the same field.

Why are they important in mathematics?

Irreducible polynomials play a crucial role in algebra, particularly in fields such as abstract algebra and number theory. They are used to construct field extensions and to study the roots of polynomials.

How do you determine if a polynomial is irreducible?

There are several methods for determining whether a polynomial is irreducible. One method is to check if the polynomial has any roots in the field it belongs to. If it does not have any roots, then it is irreducible. Another method is to use the Eisenstein criterion, which states that if a prime number divides all coefficients of a polynomial except for the leading coefficient, and the prime squared does not divide the constant term, then the polynomial is irreducible.

Can an irreducible polynomial be factored in a different field?

Yes, an irreducible polynomial in one field may be factorable in a larger field. For example, the polynomial x^2+1 is irreducible in the field of real numbers, but it can be factored as (x+i)(x-i) in the field of complex numbers.

What is the significance of irreducible polynomials in cryptography?

Irreducible polynomials are used in the construction of finite fields, which are essential in many cryptographic algorithms. They also play a role in error-correcting codes used in communication systems.