Can Philosophy and Science Coexist Harmoniously in Modern Thought?

• Thread starter Maaruk
  • Start date
In summary, while there may be some tension between philosophy and science in modern thought, they can ultimately coexist harmoniously. Both disciplines seek to understand and explain the world, but they use different methods and approaches. Philosophy focuses on abstract concepts and reasoning, while science relies on empirical evidence and experimentation. However, recent developments in fields such as philosophy of science have shown that the two can complement each other and inform each other's theories. Ultimately, both philosophy and science are valuable in their own ways and can coexist in a mutually beneficial relationship in modern thought.
Maaruk
I am Maaruk, this is my Yupik name. My Christian name is Warren Jones. I live in Alaska, and as my bio indicates I am a Northern Philosopher. I studied Western Philosophy as part of my degree in Political Philosophy. My interests include: masculinity, governance, complex systems, time, and dark energy/matter. I don't like Everett's interpretation, but I do take Shrodinger's statements at face value WRT to the multiverse. I believe in God, but I don't believe science and God are incompatible. I'm not a biblical literalist, I think evolution is a real thing. I am probably a little crazy, and schizophrenia etc. run in my family so who the hell knows. I think I'm sane but I do have occasional bouts of mania which are generally exacerbated by the universe. I was told I was a genius in court ordered counseling when I was a teen, so I am at least not terminally stupid, which is of course different from being terminally ignorant.

I am a married man with three sons, I write for a living and consider my current profession to be a philosopher. I am keen on hunting, fishing, and being outdoors in general.

I signed up because I thought this would be an excellent place to get some questions answered that I am unable to find clear answers to on my own, and am excited to see what else this community has to offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!