Can Physics Concepts Clarify These Energy and Force Problems?

• Thread starter musicfairy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, a student needs help checking their answers for a set of multiple choice questions. The first question asks about the work done on a ball attached to a string moving in a horizontal circle, and the correct answer is (A) 0 J. The second question involves a nonlinear spring and the correct answer is (E) 1/3 kx0^3. The third question asks about the total kinetic energy of two pucks colliding on a frictionless air table, and the correct answer is (B) 5.0 J. The fourth question asks about the vertical distance a 1000 W electric motor can lift a 100 kg safe in 10 seconds, and the correct answer is (C) 10
musicfairy
Here's some mcs and I need someone to check my answers.

1. A student holds one end of a string in a fixed position. A ball of mass 0.2 kg attached to the other end of the string moves in a horizontal circle of radius 0.5 m with a constant speed of 5 m/s. How much work is done on the ball by the string during each revolution?
(A) 0 J
(B) 0.5 J
(C) 1.0 J
(D) 2π J
(E) 5π J

It's A because if it's a circle it does no work.

2. For a particular nonlinear spring, the relationship between the magnitude of the applied force F and the resultant displacement x from equilibrium is given by the equation F = kx2. What is the amount of work done by stretching the spring a distance x0?
(A) kx03
(B) 1/2 kx0
(C) 1/2 kx03
(D) 1/3 kx02
(E) 1/3 kx03

It's E. I'm supposed to integrate, right?

Two pucks moving on a frictionless air table are about to collide, as shown above. The 1.5 kg puck is moving directly east at 2.0 m/s. The 4.0 kg puck is moving directly north at 1.0 m/s.

3. What is the total kinetic energy of the two-puck system before the collision?
(A) √13 J
(B) 5.0 J
(C) 7.0 J
(D) 10 J
(E) 11 J

B. I solved for K of each and added them.

4. A 1000 W electric motor lifts a 100 kg safe at constant velocity. The vertical distance through which the motor can raise the safe in 10 s is most nearly
(A) 1 m
(B) 3 m
(C) l0 m
(D) 32 m
(E) l00 m

C. I set mgh/t = 1000 and solved for h.

And here's the odd ball question.

ugraph.jpg

15. A conservative force has the potential energy function U(x), shown by the graph
above. A particle moving in one dimension under the influence of this force has kinetic energy
1.0 joule when it is at position x1 Which of the following is a correct statement about the motion of the particle?

(A) It oscillates with maximum position x2 and minimum position x0.
(B) It moves to the right of x3 and does not return.
(C) It moves to the left of x0 and does not return.
(D) It comes to rest at either x0 or x2.
(E) It cannot reach either x0 or x2.

This one I know the answer to, but have no idea how to get there. The answer is E. Why? Can someone please explain?

I thought I'm supposed to add up U and K to find E, so I added 2 + 1 = 3 J. This obviously is wrong. What's the correct approach to this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check them all that closely, but for 3) your math doesn't add up exactly right. KE = mv2/2

For the last one, your particle only has 1 Joule in its KE energy bank account and it would need 2 J to climb out of the potential well. The proper way of looking at it as far as this problem is (-2J +1J) can't get higher than -1 J.

Thanks a lot. I didn't realize you could have -U.

musicfairy said:
Thanks a lot. I didn't realize you could have -U.

Well you do when you are on top of the hill and you want to know the potential energy of a cart at the bottom that you need to get up.

Basically, like most things it's relative.

Cheers.

Related to Can Physics Concepts Clarify These Energy and Force Problems?

What is the purpose of "Solving Energy Questions: A Guide"?

The purpose of "Solving Energy Questions: A Guide" is to provide a comprehensive guide for understanding and solving various energy-related problems and questions. It covers a wide range of topics including energy sources, conservation, efficiency, and renewable energy.

Who can benefit from using this guide?

This guide can benefit anyone who is interested in learning about energy and how to solve energy-related questions. It can be useful for students, professionals, policymakers, and anyone looking to make informed decisions about energy use and sustainability.

What topics are covered in "Solving Energy Questions: A Guide"?

The guide covers a variety of energy-related topics such as energy sources, energy efficiency, energy conservation, renewable energy, and energy policy. It also includes practical tips and strategies for solving energy-related problems and making sustainable energy choices.

How can this guide help in finding solutions to energy problems?

"Solving Energy Questions: A Guide" provides a step-by-step approach to understanding and solving energy problems. It offers a comprehensive overview of the different factors that contribute to energy problems and provides practical solutions and strategies for addressing them.

Is this guide based on scientific evidence?

Yes, "Solving Energy Questions: A Guide" is based on scientific evidence and research from reputable sources. It also includes references for further reading and resources for additional information on specific topics.