Can Police Catch the Speeding Motorist?

• Thread starter aflowernamedu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the police officers travel a distance of 281.25m in 17 seconds and accelerate to a constant velocity of 37.5m/s. The relative speed between the police and the motorist is 7.5m/s. It takes the police a total of 47.5 seconds to catch up to the motorist, meaning they are 228.75m behind the motorist at the intersection.
aflowernamedu
How would I solve this?

2 police officers are standing on a road. A motorist comes at 108km/hr(30m/s) The police take 2 s to assess the situation. Then their patrol car accelerates at 2.5m/s^2 for 15s after the 2s and then continues at uniform speed. How far from the observation point does the intersection take place? Assume the motorist maintains a constant speed of 108km/hr?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you do, assuming the question means the police react as the bike passes parallel to them.

using:

S = ut + 1/2*a*t2

You find that the police travel 281.25m in the 15 seconds they accelerate, plus the 2 seconds they waited, so in 17s they have traveled 281.25m and accelerated to a constant velocity of 37.5m/s

In this time the motorbike has traveled 17*30 = 510m so the police after 17s are a distance of 228.75m behind the bike

The relative speed between the two is 7.5m/s

So how long does it take to make up 228.75m at 7.5 m/s?

228.75 / 7.5 = 30.5s

plus the original 17s

30.5 + 17 = 47.5s until the police are level with the biker.

Thank you ,but I still am not sure of the answer to "how far from the observation point did the intersection take place?"

Related to Can Police Catch the Speeding Motorist?

1. Can I use the information I have to solve this problem?

To determine if you have enough information to solve a problem, you should first identify what is missing and what is known. If you have all the necessary information and it is relevant to the problem, then you likely have enough to solve it. However, if you are missing crucial data or have irrelevant information, you may not have enough to solve the problem.

2. How do I know if I have all the relevant information?

The best way to determine if you have all the relevant information is to carefully review the problem and the given information. Make sure to identify any missing data and evaluate if the information you have is necessary to solve the problem. If you are unsure, you can always consult with a colleague or conduct further research to gather more information.

3. What should I do if I am missing some information?

If you are missing some information, you can try to make educated assumptions or estimates based on the given information. You can also consult with others or conduct further research to gather the missing data. However, be cautious when making assumptions and make sure they are reasonable and do not affect the accuracy of your solution.

4. Is it possible to solve a problem without all the information?

In some cases, it may be possible to solve a problem without all the information. This is especially true if the missing data is not crucial to finding a solution. However, in most cases, having all the necessary information will result in a more accurate and reliable solution.

5. How can I ensure that I have enough information to solve a problem?

To ensure that you have enough information to solve a problem, you should carefully review the problem and the given information. Make sure to identify any missing data and evaluate if the information you have is relevant and sufficient to solve the problem. Consulting with others or conducting further research can also help to ensure that you have all the necessary information.