Can Pro-E Handle Cable/Wire Management for Robotics Projects?

• Thread starter only_huce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Management
In summary, the speaker and their robotics group are using Pro-E to design an autonomous underwater vehicle for a competition. They have designed most of the parts but still need to design the cables and wires, and are wondering if Pro-E has a feature for cable/wire management. Another person confirms that Pro-E has an add on for this, but the speaker explains that they want to use it because the previous year they did not and it caused difficulties during the building process. The speaker also mentions finding more detailed information on Pro-Cable and RSD in the help section and receiving help from others who are experienced in wiring harnesses. They thank the person for their helpful response.
only_huce
My robotics group and I are currently in the process of engineering an autonomous underwater vehicle. We have designed most of the parts in Pro-E however we still need to design the cables and wires as well as design how they will be managed. Does anyone know if Pro-E can be used for cable/wire management and if so how?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes it can. Pro-E has an add on called routed systems designer and Pro/Cable if you want to get into the nitty gritty. However, there's no reason why you just can't use the regular package to do your wiring harnesses. What is so special that you need to do that requires that kind of package?

My robotics group competes every year in a competition. We build an autonomous underwater vehicle that can self-navigate its way through a course, it has many sensors on it and the wiring gets really complicated... we want to get all the details on Pro-E this year because the previous year we didn't put the wiring and cable management in the Pro-E design and it really made things harder for us when we had to build it.

When I fired up Pro this morning, I looked in the help section so you could get a quick glimpse of Pro-Cable and RSD. I'm sure that if you do some searching you can find some more detailed info.

In my work, we have guys that are devoted to nothing but wiring harnesses, so I don't deal with it. However, I have made some rudimentary models just using the standard app and getting creative with datum points, curves and sketches.

Attachments

• Capture9-25-2009-7.58.21 AM.jpg
    Capture9-25-2009-7.58.21 AM.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 516
  • Capture9-25-2009-8.00.03 AM.jpg
    Capture9-25-2009-8.00.03 AM.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 517
Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

FAQ: Can Pro-E Handle Cable/Wire Management for Robotics Projects?

1. What is the purpose of cable/wire management in Pro-E?

Cable/wire management in Pro-E is used to organize and route electrical cables and wires in a 3D model. It ensures that cables and wires are properly placed and routed to avoid interference and improve the overall aesthetics of the product.

2. How do I add cables and wires in Pro-E?

To add cables and wires in Pro-E, you can use the "Create Cable" or "Create Wire" feature. This will allow you to specify the start and end points of the cable/wire and select the appropriate routing options. You can also use the "Auto Route" feature to automatically generate a cable/wire route based on predefined settings.

3. Can I customize the appearance of cables and wires in Pro-E?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of cables and wires in Pro-E by using the "Cable/Wire Style" feature. This allows you to change the color, thickness, and other properties of the cables and wires to suit your design needs.

4. How can I check for potential clashes or interference with cables and wires in Pro-E?

You can use the "Cable/Wire Routing Analysis" feature in Pro-E to check for potential clashes or interference with cables and wires. This feature will analyze the route and alert you of any potential issues, allowing you to make necessary adjustments.

5. Is there a way to automatically create a bill of materials (BOM) for cables and wires in Pro-E?

Yes, the "Cable/Wire BOM" feature in Pro-E allows you to automatically generate a bill of materials for all the cables and wires in your model. This includes information such as the type, length, and quantity of each cable/wire, making it easier to manage and order the necessary components.

Back