Can Pulsars Provide More Accurate Time Standards Than Atomic Clocks?

In summary: So in summary, time standards are now based on atomic clocks, but a promising second standard is based on pulsars. Pulsars are rotating neutron stars that send out a radio beacon once with each rotation, like a lighthouse. Part (b) of the problem asked for the time it takes for the pulsar to rotate 4.0x10^6 times, which was found to be 5739.225795 seconds. Part (c) asked for the uncertainty associated with this time, which was found by multiplying the uncertainty (.000 000 000 000 04) by the answer in part (b) and dividing by 1000 m/s, giving a final answer of 5.739225795 ms.
aphotictwil
Time standards are now based on atomic clocks. A promising second standard is based on pulsars, which are rotating neutron stars (highly compact stars consisting only of neutrons). Some rotate at a rate that is highly stable, sending out a radio beacon that sweeps briefly across Earth once with each rotation, like a lighthouse beacon. Suppose a pulsar rotates once every 1.434 806 448 872 75 4 ms, where the trailing 4 indicates the uncertainty in the last decimal place (it does not mean 4 ms).

(c) What is the associated uncertainty of this time?

I attempted to solve the problem find the average between 1.434 806 448 872 79 and 1.434 806 448 872 71 (in seconds, meaning i already divided by 1000m/s) yet I could not get the correct answer.
I also used the answer in part (b) as a base to find the average
That also failed.
I've got the correct answer for (b) but cannot figure out (c)

Heres (b) in case you were interested
b) How much time does the pulsar take to rotate 4.0 106 times? (Give your answer to at least 4 decimal places.)

answer is: 5739.225795

help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (c) seems to ask for an associated uncertainty. So what is the definition of associated uncertainty? (It's not an average)

well i attempted 1.43480644887275/00000000000004
something like that

the problem here i guess is that i don't understand associated uncertainty.
any idea how to solve it/definition is?

please and thx

Well, I'm actually not quite sure what it means either. The terms I usually hear are "relative uncertainty" or just "uncertainty", or occasionally "absolute uncertainty".

Maybe the question means "What is the uncertainty associated with this time?" In that case they're just asking for the uncertainty, written out as a time (in milliseconds).

Figured out the answer.
Its actually very simple

Multiply 4.0x10^6 from (b)
by the uncertainty
(which is .000 000 000 000 04).
That gives you the answer in ms

My final answer required it to be in seconds
so I divided the ans by 1000 m/s

Ahhh, I see, they were asking for the uncertainty in the answer to part (b). I got thrown off a bit there because you wrote part (c) right after the introductory information.

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

Related to Can Pulsars Provide More Accurate Time Standards Than Atomic Clocks?

1. What is a unit of conversion?

A unit of conversion is a standard unit of measurement used to represent a certain quantity or value in a specific system. In the context of pulse, a unit of conversion would be a measurement used to represent the frequency or rate of a pulse.

2. What are the most commonly used units of conversion for pulse?

The most commonly used units of conversion for pulse are beats per minute (BPM) and pulses per minute (PPM). These units represent the number of heartbeats or pulses that occur within one minute.

3. How do you convert units of pulse using the metric system?

To convert from BPM to PPM using the metric system, you would multiply the BPM value by 1000. For example, if a pulse has a frequency of 60 BPM, the equivalent value in PPM would be 60 x 1000 = 60000 PPM.

4. Can units of pulse be converted to units of time?

Yes, units of pulse can be converted to units of time. This is because the frequency of a pulse is directly related to time. For example, a pulse with a frequency of 60 BPM would correspond to one beat every second, which can be represented as 1 Hz (Hertz).

5. How accurate are units of conversion for pulse?

The accuracy of units of conversion for pulse depends on the method used to measure and calculate the frequency of the pulse. In general, electronic devices and medical equipment tend to provide more accurate measurements compared to manual methods such as counting beats per minute. It is important to use consistent and reliable methods when converting units of pulse for accurate results.