Can Replacing Chip EMI Filter Capacitors Improve Attenuation Characteristics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the replacement of a chip EMI filter capacitor with another vendor's filter that has a different tolerance range of -20/+50%. The possibility of the replacement providing better attenuation characteristics is also mentioned. The datasheets of the two filter options, Murata NFM18 series and SMI SGM16-2A series, are provided for reference. It is also noted that the filter characteristic will depend on the other components placed in series with the feed-through capacitor.
stepa
I have some chip emi filter capacitor type. Its parameters are size 0603 , 1000pF , tollerance +/-20%. I would like to replace it by filter of another vendor, with the difference of tollerance -20/+50%.
As I'm understanding from attenuation characteristics chart, the replacement maybe even better, cause for +50% tollerance I will have a chance to get higher capacitance value and higher insertion loss.

Is it correct?

Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 399
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post a link to the datasheets? It takes more than a capacitor to make a filter -- what is the topology of the filter? A "T" or a "Pi" maybe? What is this tolerance on? Just the capacitor, or something else about the filter?

One of them is Murata, NFM18 series: http://search.murata.co.jp/Ceramy/CatalogAction.do?sHinnm=?&nbsp&sNHinnm=NFM18CC102R1C3&sNhin_key=NFM18CC102R1C3B&sLang=en&sParam=nfm18
And the 2nd is SMI, SGM16-2A series:
http://www.smied.co.jp/smi_english/product/noise2006.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. So these are 3-terminal feed-through capacitors, with low/negligible series inductance. So to answer your original question, yes, the 2nd part should do as well or better than the muRata Erie part.

The filter characteristic will depend on what other components you place in series with the feed-through capacitor.

Thanks a lot.

Related to Can Replacing Chip EMI Filter Capacitors Improve Attenuation Characteristics?

What is a chip EMI filter?

A chip EMI filter is an electronic component that is used to reduce electromagnetic interference (EMI) in electronic circuits. It is designed to block unwanted high-frequency signals and allow only the desired signals to pass through.

Why would a chip EMI filter need to be replaced?

Chip EMI filters can become damaged or worn over time, which can affect their effectiveness in reducing EMI. Additionally, as technology advances, newer and more efficient chip EMI filters may become available, making it necessary to replace older filters for optimal performance.

How do I know if my chip EMI filter needs to be replaced?

If you are experiencing increased levels of EMI in your electronic circuits, it may be a sign that your chip EMI filter needs to be replaced. Other indications include physical damage to the filter or if it has been in use for a long period of time.

Can I replace a chip EMI filter myself?

Replacing a chip EMI filter requires technical knowledge and skills. It is recommended to have a trained professional or someone with experience in electronics perform the replacement to ensure it is done correctly and safely.

Are there different types of chip EMI filters?

Yes, there are various types of chip EMI filters available, including ceramic, ferrite bead, and surface mount filters. The type of filter needed will depend on the specific application and the level of EMI that needs to be reduced.