Can retrocausality explain the wave properties in the double slit experiment?

In summary, there is no need for retrocausality to explain the wave properties of a single photon in the double slit experiment. The quantum mechanical description of a single particle predicts an interference pattern regardless of the number of particles fired, and this has been confirmed through numerous studies. Additionally, any explanation of the double slit experiment that cannot be extended to other areas of physics, such as chemistry and solid state physics, is not considered a valid explanation. While there are alternative theories, such as the pilot wave theory, they have not been tested and fall outside the scope of discussion on Physics Forums.
Realgent
Apologies if this is a ridiculous question (I have zero scientific education). I recently watch a video about retrocausality and thought that this may be an explanation for the wave properties of a single photon fired in the double slit experiment. My scientific ignorance will be on full show here but as far as I'm aware this test always requires massive quantities of photons to be fired from the same location so if retrocausality is true the reason for the wave properties of a single photon is because it is interacting with the photons from the subsequent photons fired in the experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Realgent said:
...but as far as I'm aware this test always requires massive quantities of photons to be fired from the same location so if retrocausality is true the reason for the wave properties of a single photon is because it is interacting with the photons from the subsequent photons fired in the experiment.

:welcome:

Retrocausality has no particular relationship to double slit interference. Such interference is unrelated to past or future particles, as you can do the test 1 photon at a time and still build up a pattern.

Exactly...one photon at a 'time'...if you remove 'time' from the equation then all of the photons in the experiment are fired together..and therefore interact with each other

Retrocausality is neither needed nor especially helpful to explain why the interference pattern appears. The quantum mechanical description of a single particle says that we should expect an interference pattern if we fire enough single particles at the screen and that it is caused by self-interference... so no retrocausality needed.

If you can get hold of the book "Sneaking a look at god's cards" by Giancarlo Ghirardi, you may find that it's a better use of your time than watching videos - many of the online videos are pretty much garbage, and there's no reliable way of telling the good ones from the bad.

Likes Mentz114
To me (as a layman) your statement agrees with my premise because you included 'if' ie "The quantum mechanical description of a single particle says that we should expect an interference pattern if we fire enough single particles at the screen". Has there been any studies that state that if you don't fire a large amount of particles at a screen you would get the same result?

Realgent said:
To me (as a layman) your statement agrees with my premise because you included 'if' ie "The quantum mechanical description of a single particle says that we should expect an interference pattern if we fire enough single particles at the screen". Has there been any studies that state that if you don't fire a large amount of particles at a screen you would get the same result?
The interference pattern builds up one dot at a time, so of course no intereference pattern will be observed if you only send a single particle through - you'll get a single dot somewhere on the screen. However, when we do send multiple particles through, the statistical distribution of the dots is independent of the number of particles. This result is consistent with the quantum mechanical explanation and inconsistent with any theory in which the behavior of any given particle is affected by the total number of particles, whether from the future or not. Thus, the answer to your question ("Has there been any studies that state...?") is "Yes, pretty much all of them".

Another problem is that the calculations that explain the interference pattern through self-interference are the same ones that explain chemical bonds (and hence just about all of chemistry), semiconductors (and hence just about all of modern electronics), just about all of solid state physics, and a bunch of other stuff that I'm forgetting right now. An explanation of the double slit experiment that cannot be extended to these other cases is no explanation at all.

However, this discussion is now well on the wrong side of the Physics Forums rule prohibiting personal theories and speculation. If you want to know what quantum mechanics does say... Ask away. That's what we're here for. But discussion of alternative theories, unless published in an appropriate peer-reviewed journal, is off-limits.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
It is more likely that the particle is the source of the wave and it interferes with itself via its wave. Essentially the pilot wave theory.

This example is seen in fluid dynamics with silicon oil droplets as the particle.

This is the only deterministic explanation that I know of. The issue is that it cannot be tested on particles because we would need to know their position when they exit the laser.

Related to Can retrocausality explain the wave properties in the double slit experiment?

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in the field of quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles (such as photons or electrons) through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it challenges our understanding of the nature of light and matter. It shows that particles can exhibit wave-like behavior, and that our observations can influence the behavior of particles. It has also led to the development of new theories and technologies in quantum mechanics.

3. What does the double slit experiment prove?

The double slit experiment proves the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It shows that particles can behave like waves and exhibit interference patterns, and that our observations can affect their behavior. It also supports the idea that the act of measurement can change the outcome of an experiment.

4. What are the implications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has profound implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality. It suggests that the world is not as deterministic as classical physics suggests, and that our observations and measurements can have a significant impact on the behavior of particles. It also has implications for technology, such as the development of quantum computers.

5. Are there variations of the double slit experiment?

Yes, there are variations of the double slit experiment that have been conducted with different types of particles, such as electrons and atoms. There are also variations that involve multiple slits, different types of barriers, and different measurement methods. Each variation provides a deeper understanding of the wave-particle duality and the nature of quantum mechanics.