Can Rogowski Coils Be Used Without an Integrator for HOKA Applications?

• Thread starter Glenn Emmers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coil Design
In summary: The coil has 152 windings with the following approximated properties:- Mutual inductance (M) = 40nH- Resistance = 10.141 Ω- Inductance = 8.019 μH- Capacitance = 40.7nFSo HOKA is a new term? I wasn't able to find it via Google, but do see it mentioned in the paper you linked. What does HOKA stand for?The name HOKA is the registered trademark of Verkoppelungsschaltung nach Hofer-Noser und Karrer.
Glenn Emmers
Dear all,

I'm currently working on an open core PCB rogowski coil and came up with the following design:
F61p2Ac.png

93y9h

I concluded that the asymmetry wouldn't be a problem if the coil is centered precisely around the conductor and cause it's mainly supposed to operate around 50 Hz. Is this a good assumption?
The coil has 152 windings with the following approximated properties:
- Mutual inductance (M) = 40nH
- Resistance = 10.141 Ω
- Inductance = 8.019 μH
- Capacitance = 40.7nF
I'm supposed to measure currents up to 100A under normal conditions (higher in extraordinary cases)

For a HOKA, the integrator is replaced by a low pass filter and a gain is added afterwards. (Here is link with a bit of explanation).

So I have a couple of questions:
I thought the sensitivity of the Rogowski was also determined by the integration constant, with the sensitivity being: M/τ. But since I won't have an integrator, how will I be able to determine the sensitivity?
Also what is the best way to determine the parameters of this low pass filter and amplifier?
Can I put 2 rogowski coils in parallel to have less relative noise disturbance?
What Hall-sensors would be useful in this application?

I thank you in advance,

Glenn

Attachments

• F61p2Ac.png
    F61p2Ac.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,647
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

So HOKA is a new term? I wasn't able to find it via Google, but do see it mentioned in the paper you linked. What does HOKA stand for?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

So HOKA is a new term? I wasn't able to find it via Google, but do see it mentioned in the paper you linked. What does HOKA stand for?
Thank you!

HOKA stands for the names of the two people who came up with it: Verkoppelungsschaltung nach Hofer-Noser und Karrer (Source: Hudoffsky, Boris, (2014),Berührungslose Messung schnell veränderlicher Ströme)

Your HOKA link describes not a low pass but a Hall effect sensor element to extend frequency response down to DC. That device is inherently low pass.

Glenn Emmers said:
Also what is the best way to determine the parameters of this low pass filter and amplifier?
I'd say from the datasheet of your Hall sensor.

here's the instruction manual for an early Tektronix combination Hall efect/Faraday effect current probe that describes how they did it in mid 1960's. Its bandwidth was DC to 50mhz. . While their Faraday element had a core the working principle is identical to your HOKA paper.
http://materias.fi.uba.ar/6644/info/puntas/manuales/p6042 current probe.pdf
I used one of those in early 1970's . It was a Godsend for non-intrusively checking AC relay drivers, which as you can imagine is REALLY handy in a nuke plant.

old jim

Last edited:
Glenn Emmers said:
I concluded that the asymmetry wouldn't be a problem if the coil is centered precisely around the conductor and cause it's mainly supposed to operate around 50 Hz. Is this a good assumption?
Define precise.
If you remove the turns component below as you have in the rectangular area above then symmetry will be restored. Sensitivity to current will fall slightly, but eccentricity of mounting about the current conductor will no longer be a problem. The undefined precision will not be required.

Related to Can Rogowski Coils Be Used Without an Integrator for HOKA Applications?

1. What is a Rogowski coil and how does it work?

A Rogowski coil is a type of sensor used to measure alternating current (AC). It consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a magnetic core. As the current passes through the coil, it creates a magnetic field which induces a voltage in the coil. This voltage can then be used to measure the current.

2. What are the advantages of using a Rogowski coil for HOKA?

One of the main advantages of using a Rogowski coil for HOKA (high-frequency transient overvoltage measurement) is its ability to accurately measure high-frequency currents, which is essential for monitoring power quality in modern electrical systems. Other advantages include its compact size, low cost, and non-intrusive design.

3. How do I determine the appropriate size and number of turns for a Rogowski coil for HOKA?

The size and number of turns for a Rogowski coil will depend on the specific application and the expected current levels. Generally, a larger coil with more turns will provide a higher sensitivity and allow for measurement of smaller currents. However, a larger coil may also introduce more noise into the measurement. It is important to carefully consider the requirements and consult with a professional for the best design.

4. Can a Rogowski coil be used for both AC and DC measurements?

No, a Rogowski coil is only suitable for measuring AC currents. This is because it relies on the changing magnetic field created by the alternating current to induce a voltage in the coil. For DC measurements, a different type of sensor, such as a Hall effect sensor, is needed.

5. How do I calibrate a Rogowski coil for accurate measurements?

Calibration of a Rogowski coil is typically done by comparing its output to a known reference source. This can be done either in a laboratory setting or in the field using a portable calibrator. It is important to periodically calibrate the coil to ensure accurate measurements, as factors such as temperature and aging can affect its performance over time.