Can rubber tracks replace steel tracks on military vehicles?

In summary: This article talks about how using rubber tracks on military vehicles can reduce wear and tear on both soldiers and equipment.
norwegianguy
Hello, guys.

I was just wondering if any of you knew about universities in the US with military technology education?

Ps. Is it the same as "aeronautical engineering"?

Kind regards,

- Timothy

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, there is no military technology program, but each branch of the service, Army, Navy and Air Force have their Academies, in which officer candidates take courses in science, engineering and humanities (e.g. history) while studying courses in military topics (e.g. national and world history, history of warfare, . . . .). At these academies, the are topics in scientific and engineering courses related to military applications.

At public and private universities, students may enroll in ROTC (Reserve Officer Training Corps), which does involve some courses in military topics, but the science and engineering courses are not specifically about military technology.

Ok.
Do you know if it's enough being a mechanical engineer for doing that kind of work?

Actually I don't know much about this subject, so I would be grateful if anyone in this forum had a link with information or something like that.

norwegianguy said:
Ok.
Do you know if it's enough being a mechanical engineer for doing that kind of work?

Actually I don't know much about this subject, so I would be grateful if anyone in this forum had a link with information or something like that.
Yes - mechanical engineering with some materials would be a good all around major. There are many things mechanical in the military.

In addition to their respective academies, the branches of the military have research labs as well.

As a relatively recent graduate of mechanical engineering who works in defense, I would caution against choosing mechanical engineering if you still have time. While it is one of those fields that will never completely be obsolete, the role of mechanical engineering in research and development work is ever shrinking. The one exception, which I think was mentioned, is material sciences(mems, nano, advanced packaging) and also nuclear engineering.

The more cutting edge(better paying) projects are geared more towards electrical, chemical, and software engineering.

Mechanical engineering and manufacturing are becoming more synonymous every year.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking to get into.

Not to hijack the thread, but does a pure mathematician have any place in developing military technology?

The military will take anything that's useful to them.
There's no set degree, and there's no real degree that is more or less useful to the military.
I, personally, intend to get a degree in aeronautical or aerospace engineering because that is what I am best suited for.
Basically, go with whatever you're good at, if you make something that the military likes, you can make a looot of money.

I was mostly thinking about developing guns, radars, tanks. Things like that.

I'm 17 years old, so I have a lot of time to make my choice.

A pure mathematician does have a place in defense, however you typically need a higher degree of some sort(M.S/M.A. Ph.D).

In regards to norwegianguy, just judging by your username, if you intend to pursue a "guns, radar, and tanks" career in the US, a must is going to be US citizenship.

Another common misconception I think needs some clearing up is the money to be made in defense engineering. Working as an engineer for a defense contractor or DoD branch is not the payday many expect, despite what spectacular ideas you have. Engineering salaries, even at the highest level, will always pale in comparison to Doctors or Lawyers. The really money is to be made on the business side, not technical.

Yes, I'm from Norway.
I want to study in America, and I think it's going to be mechanical engineering. It doesn't necessarily have to be weapons, but i think it's kinda interesting. I've had some thoughts about moving to the US, so maybe I will one day.

Well, I like creating new things, so I like the technical things alot. I don't care that much about money, but of course it's important.

JG89 said:
Not to hijack the thread, but does a pure mathematician have any place in developing military technology?
Maybe in cryptography/communications some analysis. NSA hires mathematicians.

As jhstroud indicated, one has to be a US citizen to be involved in most applications of military technology or national security. The US does have reciprocal agreements with some countries (e.g. NATO, UK, Australia) with respect to certain technologies.

A different twist on military technology.

Military technology: Using rubber rather than steel tracks on military vehicles could reduce wear and tear on both soldiers and equipment
http://www.economist.com/science/tq/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12673347
RATTLING along in the “washing-machine environment” of an armoured personnel-carrier (APC) on steel tracks can shake the soldiers inside to the point of exhaustion, according to Dan Goure, a military analyst at the Lexington Institute, a think-tank in Arlington, Virginia. And J.G. Brunbech, an APC expert at the Danish Army Material Command in Oksboel, observes that the crew’s limbs are prone to becoming prickly and numb, and their hands get tired, because they must grip the vehicle’s safety handles tightly. The vehicle itself suffers, too. The vibrations cause rapid wear and tear—not to mention outright damage, especially to electronics.

In the past, engineers have tried to reduce these vibrations by fixing rubber pads to the treads. The pads wear out quickly, however, and often get torn or even melted. But now tough, new rubbers have come to the rescue. Moreover, these rubbers are not being used just as pads. Instead, they are crafted into enormous rubber bands that replace the steel tracks completely. The Danes are converting their entire APC fleet to rubber tracks. This will increase the amount of time a soldier can safely spend on board from just one and a half hours to ten hours.

Details of how the new super-rubbers are made are still classified, but the results are not, and they are impressive. Rubber tracks weigh less than half as much as their steel counterparts. That, in turn, allows the weight of the suspension system to be reduced by 25%. All this can cut fuel consumption by as much as 30%, says TACOM, the American army’s Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command.

. . . .
and then there is improved reliability.

Related to Can rubber tracks replace steel tracks on military vehicles?

1. What is a military technology engineer?

A military technology engineer is a scientist who specializes in developing and designing advanced technologies for use in military operations, such as weapons systems, communication systems, and surveillance equipment.

2. What educational background is needed to become a military technology engineer?

Most military technology engineers have at least a bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, or a related field. Some may also have a military background or experience working in the defense industry.

3. What skills are necessary for a career as a military technology engineer?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software are essential for a career as a military technology engineer. Other important skills include creativity, teamwork, and the ability to think critically under pressure.

4. What types of technologies do military technology engineers work on?

Military technology engineers work on a wide range of technologies, including weapons systems, drones, cyber security systems, communication networks, and advanced materials. They also research and develop new technologies to improve military operations and protect national security.

5. What are the ethical considerations for military technology engineers?

Military technology engineers must consider the potential consequences of their work, including the impact on human life, international laws and regulations, and the potential for their technologies to be used for harm. They must also adhere to strict ethical standards and follow protocols for testing and evaluating their technologies to ensure their safety and effectiveness.