Can Sequence r_n Be Bounded by O(log2(log2 n))?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical proof by induction, specifically showing that the sequence r is O (log2 (log2 n)). The conversation delves into the definition of big oh and the use of induction to prove the inductive step. It is suggested to assume the inductive hypothesis to be true and use the monotonicity of the log function to simplify the expression. The conversation ends with a question about how to get from 1 + rfloor(√(n+1)) to 1 + rfloor(√n).
haruspex said:
A pleasure.
So it turns out when I was writing the proof, I stumbled upon a little issue. Basically, in order to be able to use the IH on rfloor(√n) we require 3 ≤floor(√n) < n which is just not the case. Like take n = 3, then floor(√3) < 3. Even if you try to lower bound floor(√n) by 0 or 1 it doesn't work since then the log term in the predicate becomes undefined. In other words, P(n) just isn't true for n = 0, 1. This is rather unfortunate. I'm not really sure how to get around this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
NATURE.M said:
So it turns out when I was writing the proof, I stumbled upon a little issue. Basically, in order to be able to use the IH on rfloor(√n) we require 3 ≤floor(√n) < n which is just not the case. Like take n = 3, then floor(√3) < 3. Even if you try to lower bound floor(√n) by 0 or 1 it doesn't work since then the log term in the predicate becomes undefined. In other words, P(n) just isn't true for n = 0, 1. This is rather unfortunate. I'm not really sure how to get around this ?
You could change your base step to something like: P(n) is true for 3 ≤ n ≤ 8.

milesyoung said:
You could change your base step to something like: P(n) is true for 3 ≤ n ≤ 8.
Okay that makes sense. So if i understand correctly, I can prove each individual case from let's say 3≤n≤8. Then proceed with complete induction from 8≤k<n. Would that make sense ? Because then when I do the proof, I wouldn't by just invoking the IH, I would also have to specify the truth of the base cases.

NATURE.M said:
Okay that makes sense. So if i understand correctly, I can prove each individual case from let's say 3≤n≤8. Then proceed with complete induction from 8≤k<n. Would that make sense ? Because then when I do the proof, I wouldn't by just invoking the IH, I would also have to specify the truth of the base cases.
No, it'll be a problem if you change your IH. You could instead formulate it as:

Base step: Show that P(n) is true for 3 ≤ n < 9.
Induction hypothesis: P(k) is true for 3 ≤ k < n.
Induction step: Assume IH holds, and show that P(n) is true for n ≥ 9.

milesyoung said:
No, it'll be a problem if you change your IH.
Would it necessarily? Seems to me it could be generalised to rn <= A + B l2 l2 n. With the same algebra as before, the A's cancel out and again produce B>=1.
Yes, the base of the induction needs to be broadened. If we make the base N0 <= n < N1, we need N1 >= N02. As you say, keeping N0=3 means means 3 to 8 have to be demonstrated separately to satisfy the IH, but consider N0=2. We need r2 = 2 <= A + B l2 l2 2 = A.

But a new issue i just noticed that none of the base cases satisfy if we take c = 1. Like r3 = 2, and r

Should i choose c = 4 instead ?

NATURE.M said:
But a new issue i just noticed that none of the base cases satisfy if we take c = 1. Like r3 = 2, and r

Should i choose c = 4 instead ?
Did you see my post #40?

haruspex said:
Would it necessarily? Seems to me it could be generalised to rn <= A + B l2 l2 n. With the same algebra as before, the A's cancel out and again produce B>=1.
It was probably not clear, but I just meant that the OP should keep the IH as 'P(k) is true for 3 ≤ k < n' instead of 'P(k) is true for 8 ≤ k < n'.

How do the A's cancel?

milesyoung said:
How do the A's cancel?
##r_n = 1 + r_{\lfloor\sqrt{n}\rfloor} \leq 1 + A + B l_2 l_2 (\lfloor\sqrt{n}\rfloor) \leq 1 + A + B l_2 l_2 (\sqrt{n}) ##
##= 1 + A + B (l_2 l_2 (n) - 1) = 1 + A -B + B l_2 l_2 (n)##.
If B >= 1, ##1 + A -B + B l_2 l_2 (n) \leq A + B l_2 l_2 (n)##.
With A=2, that IH is true for n = 2, 3. The induction takes it from there.

Okay what does the A represent ? If I'm not mistaken the B is just c but what's the A term ?
Otherwise I understand what your saying.

NATURE.M said:
Okay what does the A represent ? If I'm not mistaken the B is just c but what's the A term ?
Otherwise I understand what your saying.
A is just adding a sufficient buffer to ensure that the IH is true (with the least possible B) as soon as possible. With A=2 you get to start the IH at n=2. It doesn't affect the asymptotic behaviour.
Making B as low as possible, at the expense of a larger A, gives the asymptotically tightest bound. You could instead start the IH at a higher n0, but as we have seen that requires a lot more calculation because you have to cover from n0 to n02-1 by hand.

haruspex said:
A is just adding a sufficient buffer to ensure that the IH is true (with the least possible B) as soon as possible. With A=2 you get to start the IH at n=2. It doesn't affect the asymptotic behaviour.
Making B as low as possible, at the expense of a larger A, gives the asymptotically tightest bound. You could instead start the IH at a higher n0, but as we have seen that requires a lot more calculation because you have to cover from n0 to n02-1 by hand.
Oh that makes a lot of sense. So more generally, we can write f is in 0(g(n) + A) and it wouldn't actually make a difference since A is only a constant.

SammyS said:

Try writing out the first part of the sequence. It increases very slowly, which is not a surprise, considering what you're asked to prove.

For what values of n is ##\ r_{n+1}>r_n \ ## ?
As I mentioned in Post #9 above:

I would have approached this problem somewhat differently. Look at how this sequence progresses.

r2 & r3: ## \ \lfloor \sqrt{2}\rfloor=\lfloor \sqrt{3}\rfloor=1 \ ## Therefore, r2 = r3 = 1 + r1 = 2 .

r2 and r3 both refer to r1, so they have the same value.

The smallest n for which rn refers to r2 is n = 4, a perfect square, in fact 22.

The smallest n for which rn refers to r3 is n = 9, in fact 32. But r2 = r3 there is no increase going from r8 to r9.

The smallest n for which rn refers to r4 is n = 42 = 16. Note that: r4 = ... = r15 = 4.

From here, there are a whole slew of n values for which the rn refer back to these members of the sequence having value of 4. Starting with r16 they all have a value of 5.

The smallest n for which rn refers to r16 is n = 162 = 256. ...

So, r1 = 1

rn increases to 2 when n goes to 2.

rn increases to 3 when n goes to 4 = 22.

rn increases to 4 when n goes to 16 = 42 = (22)2.

rn increases to 5 when n goes to 256 = 162 = ((22)2)2.

You can relate the value of rn to the overall exponent on 2 for the value of n at which rn is incremented. Perhaps induction may be used to prove that this relationship holds for each value of n and/or rn .

SammyS said:
As I mentioned in Post #9 above:

I would have approached this problem somewhat differently. Look at how this sequence progresses.

r2 & r3: ## \ \lfloor \sqrt{2}\rfloor=\lfloor \sqrt{3}\rfloor=1 \ ## Therefore, r2 = r3 = 1 + r1 = 2 .

r2 and r3 both refer to r1, so they have the same value.

The smallest n for which rn refers to r2 is n = 4, a perfect square, in fact 22.

The smallest n for which rn refers to r3 is n = 9, in fact 32. But r2 = r3 there is no increase going from r8 to r9.

The smallest n for which rn refers to r4 is n = 42 = 16. Note that: r4 = ... = r15 = 4.

From here, there are a whole slew of n values for which the rn refer back to these members of the sequence having value of 4. Starting with r16 they all have a value of 5.

The smallest n for which rn refers to r16 is n = 162 = 256. ...

So, r1 = 1

rn increases to 2 when n goes to 2.

rn increases to 3 when n goes to 4 = 22.

rn increases to 4 when n goes to 16 = 42 = (22)2.

rn increases to 5 when n goes to 256 = 162 = ((22)2)2.

You can relate the value of rn to the overall exponent on 2 for the value of n at which rn is incremented. Perhaps induction may be used to prove that this relationship holds for each value of n and/or rn .
Seems like a lot more work than the solution already posted.

haruspex said:
Seems like a lot more work than the solution already posted.
Perhaps.

... but, it wasn't clear to me that OP had fully comprehended the details of that solution.