Can She Clear the Intersection or Stop in Time?

In summary, a person driving her car at 50km/h approaches an intersection just as the traffic light turns yellow. She knows that the yellow light lasts only 2.0s before turning to red, and she is 30m away from the near side of the intersection. She should try to stop or should she make a run for the intersection? The intersection is 15m wide. Her car's max deceleration is -6.0m/s^2, whereas it can accelerate from 50 to 70 km/h in 6.0s. Ignore the length of her car and her reaction speed.
aceXstudent
Hi, our teacher requires us to do problem solving questions, which means a full one page report about the situation. I got stuck on this part and would like some advise.

P: A person driving her car at 50km/h approaches an intersection just as the traffic light turns yellow. She knows that the yellow light lasts only 2.0s before turning to red, and she is 30m away from the near side of the intersection. Should she try to stop or should she make a run for ti? The intersection is 15m wide. Her car's max deceleration is -6.0m/s^2, whereas it can accelerate from 50 to 70 km/h in 6.0s. Ignore the length of her car and her reaction speed.

Must find out how long it takes for the car to reach the end of the intersection. First, find the acceleration from 50-70km/h.
After conversions...
(19.4m/s-13.9m/s)/6.0s= 0.917m/s^2

Now must find time it took for her to reach the end.
d= 45m
Vo=13.9m/s
a=0.917m/s^2
t=?

How do I find t and how do I find out if she can make the braking distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you want for t. I would just use the 2 seconds the traffic light will take to change and use the equations of motion to see if she is through by then (if x(t=2 sec) > 45 m).

First make sure to check the significant figures, as in you're rounding too early, you can round but be consistant and don't make your answer more accurate then the place you rounded to. Have you learned the kinematics equations yet, or what eqs have you learned recently?

We've only covered constant acceleration formulas. They are as follow:

a= (V-Vo)/t
V^2=Vo^2+2ad
d=Vot+1/2at^2
d=1/2(Vo+V)t
Average Velocity= Vo+V/2

Keep in mind I just started AP Phyz, skipped Chem and Phyz.

So you can use that third equation to see how far she gets in two seconds of accelerating from 50 km/hr towards 70 km/hr, and whether she clears the intersection in that time.

FAQ: Can She Clear the Intersection or Stop in Time?

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration refers to the situation where an object's velocity changes at a constant rate over time. This means that the object's speed is increasing or decreasing by the same amount every second.

2. How is constant acceleration different from uniform motion?

Uniform motion refers to a situation where the object's velocity remains constant, meaning there is no change in speed or direction. Constant acceleration, on the other hand, involves a change in velocity over time.

3. What is the formula for calculating constant acceleration?

The formula for constant acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed.

4. How is constant acceleration related to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. This means that in situations of constant acceleration, the force acting on the object is also constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

Examples of constant acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a ball rolling down a ramp, and a skydiver falling towards the ground. In each of these situations, the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate.

Back