Can/Should I take graduate physics course if I'm a Aeronautic Engineer.

In summary, I am considering switching to physics as my main field of study. I am interested in cosmology, high energy physics, and astrophysics, and I feel that passion is enough when dealing with studies like these. However, I am worried that I do not have the formal education in physics or cosmology that would make me a strong candidate for a physics graduate program. I am planning to take the GRE test in order to see if an excellent score in this test would be persuasive enough.
sigmatjj84
I am about to graduate as a mechanical engineer this coming August. I wish to further my study in physics. I wonder is it possible to change field since what I am about to obtain is a bachelor degree in engineering?

I am really interested in physics but back then I had no choice. I do not want to regret in the future so I decided to make my own choice now.

My interest lie at the intersection of cosmology, high energy physics and astrophysics. I am interested in dark matter, black hole and especially TOE.

I am troubled. I did not took a formal taught course in physics or cosmology except some self studies.I always think that passion is enough when dealing with things like these (studies). Is it?

Well, so far I have tried to consult many professors from various university but only one of them reply me. I wonder why? Anyone can help me with this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Professors get a lot of e-mails from people they don't know. It's not unreasonable to expect them to respond only to those student enquiries which seem to come from promising candidates.

With a background in mechanical engineering it will be extremely difficult to persuade someone to take you on as a physics graduate student. There is not a lot of overlap between upper-year mechanical engineering coursework and upper-level physics coursework. Perhaps you could consider taking a year or two of upper-level physics after you earn your engineering degree.

First of all, thank you for replying me.

hmmm...ya, I agree. I can't expect them to reply to all e-mails. But...well, never mind.

I plan to take GRE test. I wonder if an excellent result in GRE-Physics test is persuasive enough?

If you were me, would you choose your interest or stick with engineering? Well, I know engineering uses just as much physics but it's not the field I'm fond of. But I do enjoy inventing new things. You can say that engineering is my second interest.

I did consider the possibility of continue taking eng. and take physics as a part time hobby. But I really don't think I have enough time to do that especially if I want to be sucessful in that area. You know what i mean?

Actually I have made up my mind (85%) to take physics but sometimes the remaining 15% still troubling me. sigh...

if you keep it as a hobby,i think you will never loss.

Related to Can/Should I take graduate physics course if I'm a Aeronautic Engineer.

1. Can I take a graduate physics course if I'm an Aeronautic Engineer?

Yes, as an Aeronautic Engineer, you have a strong foundation in mathematics and engineering principles which are essential for understanding advanced physics concepts. With some additional effort and dedication, you can excel in a graduate physics course.

2. Will taking a graduate physics course benefit my career as an Aeronautic Engineer?

Yes, taking a graduate physics course can greatly benefit your career as an Aeronautic Engineer. It will deepen your understanding of the fundamental principles of physics that govern the behavior of aircrafts, and also allow you to specialize in specific areas of physics relevant to aeronautics such as aerodynamics, propulsion, and materials science.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for taking a graduate physics course as an Aeronautic Engineer?

Most graduate physics programs have specific prerequisites that can vary depending on the university and the course. However, as an Aeronautic Engineer, you likely have already completed many of these prerequisites, such as calculus, differential equations, and mechanics. It is best to check with the specific program for their requirements.

4. How will taking a graduate physics course as an Aeronautic Engineer differ from my undergraduate engineering courses?

A graduate physics course will have a more theoretical and mathematical approach compared to undergraduate engineering courses, which tend to focus more on practical applications. You will also dive deeper into advanced physics concepts and theories, and may have the opportunity to conduct research in a specific area of physics.

5. What are the potential career opportunities after completing a graduate physics course as an Aeronautic Engineer?

Completing a graduate physics course can open up a range of career opportunities for Aeronautic Engineers. You could work in research and development for aerospace companies, government agencies, or academic institutions. You could also pursue a career in consulting, data analysis, or project management in the aerospace industry.