Can Sigma Notation Solve This Complex Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses expressing the series 5+5+5/2+5/6+5/24+... in sigma notation. The participants mention using the infinite symbol and n=1, and the use of arithmetic and geometric equations. A hint is given to pay attention to the numbers in the denominators and their relationship to each other. The concept of a factorial is also brought up.
kevinater2007
must express this series using sigma notation

5+5+5/2+5/6+5/24+...

i would be extremely grateful for some help

I know that you use the infinite symbol and it goes above sigma and then n=1 below it.
i also have used the arithmetic series equations and geometric equations on several other problems but i don't know where to start when the equation doesn't consist of one of these two and when the ratio isn't a constant additive, divisor, subtractor, or multiplicative

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the numbers in the denominators. Do they remind you of something: 1,1,2,6,24,...? (No, it's not the Fibonacci series!) Pay attention to how one number is related to the subsequent one.

As neutrino mentioned the denominator is interesting. Also just a note 0!=1 = 1!. This is the usuall definition.

[This hint I think really gives the answer away]

Do you know what a factoral is?

Feldoh said:
Do you know what a factoral is?

Who are you referring too? I was reading this and made me wonder maby I was thinking wrong? I know what's a factorial and in my classes usually 0! is defined to be 1. Which was shown using the binomial theorum as I remember.

Related to Can Sigma Notation Solve This Complex Series?

1. What is sigma notation?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation that represents the sum of a series of numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter sigma (∑) followed by the expression to be summed and the range of values over which the sum is to be taken. For example, ∑i=1n i represents the sum of all natural numbers from 1 to n.

2. What is the purpose of using sigma notation?

The purpose of using sigma notation is to simplify and condense the representation of a sum. It allows for easier and more efficient calculation of large sums, as well as making patterns and formulas more easily recognizable.

3. How do you read and interpret sigma notation?

The expression to be summed is written after the sigma symbol (∑), with the index variable (usually represented by i) and its starting and ending values denoted as subscripts and superscripts, respectively. The expression is evaluated for each value of the index variable within the given range, and the results are added together. For example, ∑i=14 2i would be read as "the sum of 2i from i equals 1 to 4", and would be evaluated as 2(1) + 2(2) + 2(3) + 2(4) = 20.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using sigma notation?

Common mistakes when using sigma notation include forgetting to include the range of values over which the sum is to be taken, using incorrect index variables or ranges, and not properly simplifying the expression within the sigma notation. It is important to double check the notation and range before evaluating the sum.

5. How is sigma notation used in real-life applications?

Sigma notation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to represent and solve problems involving sums. It is also used in statistics to represent the sum of a set of data points. In addition, sigma notation is used in computer programming to define and calculate series and loops.