Can some one tell me what it is ?

• Thread starter hazard1
  • Start date
In summary: Antikythera.pdfIn summary, Google image search thinks its a cabinet with many peg holes. It is unclear if the cabinet has any electrical resistance between the 'peg holes', or if it is an antique device for teaching trig functions.
hazard1
can some one tell me what it is ?
o8gb3a.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
hazard1 said:
can some one tell me what it is ?
o8gb3a.jpg

Welcome to the PF.

Do you know what it is? Where did you get the picture?

Is there any electrical resistance between the 'peg holes'?

I wonder if it's an ancient visual aid for teaching trig functions. If you join the holes to the "origin" you get lots of angles with sin, cos and tan equal to ratios of small integers.

That would explain the holes along the circular arcs at all the intersections with the lines "y = 1", "y = 2", etc.

I think it was made by Archimedes before he made the Antikythera device.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

Joking aside, the center hole seems to be different from the other holes. It looks like it may be a socket for a lead and so maybe the resistance idea is right.

Can we get a picture of the backside too? Is there any writing on it? Where did you get it? From a school or college environment?

As an aside, we had some long lost geometry models called Olivier models that were being restored made apparently in the 1820's or later:

intersections3asm.jpg

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
I wonder if it's an ancient visual aid for teaching trig functions. If you join the holes to the "origin" you get lots of angles with sin, cos and tan equal to ratios of small integers.

That would explain the holes along the circular arcs at all the intersections with the lines "y = 1", "y = 2", etc.

An adaptation of this,
July%202star.JPG

Looking at triangle OAM , why is AM equal to sin40 ∘ ?

Looking at triangle OAB , why is AB equal to 2sin20 ∘ ?

Looking at triangle ABM , why is AM also equal to ABcos20 ∘ which works out as 2sin20 ∘ cos20 ∘

So it looks like the same AM length value can be calculated by using sin40 ∘

and also calculated by using 2sin20 ∘ cos20 ∘

http://nrich.maths.org/2864

FAQ: Can some one tell me what it is ?

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to conducting scientific experiments and studies. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence. This method is used to ensure that scientific studies are conducted in a consistent and reliable manner.

2. How do scientists make discoveries?

Scientists make discoveries by following the scientific method and conducting experiments to test their hypotheses. They also rely on previous research and knowledge in their field to guide their studies. Collaboration with other scientists and the use of advanced technology and tools also play a role in making discoveries.

3. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about a phenomenon that can be tested through observation or experimentation. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and extensively tested explanation for a natural phenomenon. Theories are backed by a large body of evidence and are widely accepted by the scientific community.

4. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their results?

Scientists ensure the accuracy of their results by conducting experiments multiple times and using statistical analysis to determine the significance of their findings. They also use control groups, peer review, and replication to verify their results and eliminate any potential biases or errors.

5. Why is scientific research important?

Scientific research is important because it allows us to better understand the world around us and make informed decisions. It drives innovation and advancements in technology, medicine, and other fields. It also helps us address societal issues and challenges by providing evidence-based solutions and policies.