Can somebody tell my where I am going to wrong.

• Thread starter dbernat32
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for work (energy) in joules, W, is equal to the capacitance (C) multiplied by the square of the voltage (V), divided by 2. This can be derived through the use of integrals, where the infinitesimal quantities of voltage are summed to get the total work.
dbernat32
W=work(energy) in joules
C=capacitance in farads
A=Amperes
V=Voltage
Q=charge in coulombs
s=seconds
P=power in watts

I know that W=1/2(V^2)C is the correct formula, but I don't know how to derive it.

I am doing the following: C=Q/V, C=As/V, VC=VAs/V, VC=Ps/V, VC=W/V, W=C(V^2)
What am i missing?

--dbernat32

Physics news on Phys.org
dbernat32 said:
W=work(energy) in joules
C=capacitance in farads
A=Amperes
V=Voltage
Q=charge in coulombs
s=seconds
P=power in watts

I know that W=1/2(V^2)C is the correct formula, but I don't know how to derive it.

I am doing the following: C=Q/V, C=As/V, VC=VAs/V, VC=Ps/V, VC=W/V, W=C(V^2)
What am i missing?

--dbernat32

Don't know if you studied integrals.
When you add a small charge dq to a condenser at potential V and charge q, you have to make the work V*dq. But now V is not the same anylonger because V = q/C and q is now different. So you have to write V(q) and dW = V(q)*dq.
To get the total work you have to sum all these infinitesimal quantities, that is you have to compute the integral:
Integral(0;Q) V(q)*dq = Integral(0;Q) (q/c)*dq = (1/2)Q^2/C = (1/2)CV^2.
The equality coloured in blue requires knowledge of integrals.

Last edited:

It seems like you are on the right track, but you are missing a step in the derivation. The correct formula for work (energy) in terms of capacitance, voltage, and charge is W=1/2CV^2. This can be derived by starting with the definition of capacitance, C=Q/V, and substituting it into the formula for work, W=QV. This gives you W=Q^2/V. Then, using the definition of power, P=W/t, you can substitute in the formula for work to get P=Q^2/(Vt). Finally, using the formula for current, A=Q/t, you can substitute in for Q/t to get P=AV. Rearranging this formula gives you W=1/2CV^2. So, you were on the right track, but you just needed to substitute in the definition of power and rearrange the equation to get the correct formula. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Can somebody tell my where I am going to wrong.

1. What are some common mistakes that people make when trying to figure out where they are going wrong?

Some common mistakes include not thoroughly analyzing the problem, not seeking help or guidance from others, and not being open to feedback or constructive criticism.

2. How can I identify where I am going wrong in my research or experiments?

One way to identify where you might be going wrong is to carefully review your methods and procedures, and look for any potential errors or inconsistencies. It can also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in your field for their insights and perspectives.

3. Is it important to acknowledge and address where I am going wrong in my work?

Yes, it is important to acknowledge and address any mistakes or errors in your work. This allows for growth and improvement, and also helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of your findings.

4. What should I do if I am having trouble figuring out where I am going wrong?

If you are struggling to identify where you are going wrong, don't hesitate to seek help from others. This can include colleagues, mentors, or even online resources. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

5. How can I prevent making the same mistake in the future?

To prevent making the same mistake in the future, it is important to reflect on what went wrong and why. This can help you to identify any patterns or underlying issues that may have contributed to the mistake. It can also be helpful to create a plan for how to avoid similar mistakes in the future, such as double-checking your work or seeking feedback from others.

Back