Can someone check my setup for finding E.dl?

• Thread starter emhelp100
  • Start date
In summary, the homework statement has a point charge at the origin. Using the information provided, find the line integral around a square centered around the origin. Two integrals were necessary due to the symmetry of the problem. The first integral was to find the line integral around the origin itself, and the second was to find the line integral around the square. The result of the two integrals was then combined to get the line integral around the closed loop.
emhelp100

Homework Statement

A point charge +Q exists at the origin. Find [itex]\oint[/itex] [itex]\vec{E} [/itex] [itex]\cdot \vec{dl}[/itex] around a square centered around the origin. I know the answer is 0, but can someone check my setup?

Homework Equations

[itex]E=\frac{Q(\vec{R}-\vec{R'})}{4\pi E_0 |\vec{R}-\vec{R'}|^3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-4-15_0-41-44.png
[/B]

For E1 and E3, R = [itex]\hat{x}x+\hat{y}\frac{a}{2}[/itex] and R' = [itex]0[/itex]
E1 = E3 = [itex]\frac{Q\hat{x}x+\hat{y}\frac{a}{2}}{4\pi E_0(x^2+\frac{a^2}{4})^{3/2}}[/itex]
dl1=dl3 = [itex]\hat{x}dx[/itex]

E2=E4=[itex]\frac{Q\hat{x}\frac{a}{2}+\hat{y}y}{4\pi E_0(y^2+\frac{a^2}{4})^{3/2}}[/itex]
dl2=dl4 = [itex]\hat{y}dy[/itex]

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-15_0-41-44.png
    upload_2018-4-15_0-41-44.png
    763 bytes · Views: 275
Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from misssing brackets :smile: ?
And asssuming the obvious integration limits ?
And assuming (from the picture) E1 is for (a/2, 0) to (a/2,a/2) -- in which case you mixed up 1,3 with 2,4 ?

However, not bad for a first thread! Hello EM, :welcome:

BvU said:
Apart from misssing brackets :smile: ?
And asssuming the obvious integration limits ?
And assuming (from the picture) E1 is for (a/2, 0) to (a/2,a/2) -- in which case you mixed up 1,3 with 2,4 ?

However, not bad for a first thread! Hello EM, :welcome:
E1 is the line segment from (a/2,-a/2) to (a/2, a/2)

Of course, but there ##\vec {dl} = (0, dy)##

BvU said:
Of course, but there ##\vec {dl} = (0, dy)##
That is because x stays constant and y changes right?

Correct. And the expression for E1 has a constant ##x={a\over 2}## and a varying ##y##

BvU said:
Correct. And the expression for E1 has a constant ##x={a\over 2}## and a varying ##y##
So would this setup be correct?
E1 = E3 = [itex]\frac{Q}{4\pi E_0} \frac{\hat{x}{x}+\hat{y}\frac{a}{2}}{(x^2+\frac{a^2}{4})^{3/2}}[/itex]
dl1=dl3 = [itex]\hat{y}dy[/itex]

E2 = E4 = [itex]\frac{Q}{4\pi E_0}\frac{\hat{x}\frac{a}{2}+\hat{y}{y}}{(y^2+\frac{a^2}{4})^{3/2}}[/itex]
dl2=dl4 = [itex]\hat{x}dx[/itex]

:wink: You sound as if you hesitate. Have you not convinced yourself?

Likes emhelp100
BvU said:
:wink: You sound as if you hesitate. Have you not convinced yourself?
So now that I have this:
[itex]\int_{\frac{-a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\hat{x}\frac{a}{2}+\hat{y}y}{(\frac{a^2}{4}+y^2)^{3/2}}dy[/itex]
How do I integrate this?

Do you realize you have written two integrals ?

BvU said:
Do you realize you have written two integrals ?
[itex]\int_{\frac{-a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{\hat{x}\frac{a}{2}}{(\frac{a^2}{4}+y^2)^{3/2}}dy[/itex]+[itex]\int_{\frac{-a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}[/itex][itex]\frac{\hat{y}y}{(\frac{a^2}{4}+y^2)^{3/2}}dy[/itex]

Yes, so one component in the ##\hat x## direction and one in the ##\hat y## direction.
I am too lazy to work out the integral, so I try to sneak my way out: what about the second one, in the ##\hat y## direction ?

Just to make sure: we see that we don't have to find a primitive to establish the value...

BvU said:
Just to make sure: we see that we don't have to find a primitive to establish the value...
What does this mean?
For E1 and E3, the x^ direction integral canceled out.

For E2 and E4, the y^ direction integral canceled out.I am left with:
[itex]
\int_{\frac{-a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}\frac{\hat{x}\frac{a}{2}}{(\frac{a^2}{4}+y^2)^{3/2}}dy - \int_{\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{-a}{2}}\frac{\hat{x}\frac{a}{2}}{(\frac{a^2}{4}+y^2)^{3/2}}dy+
\int_{\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{-a}{2}}\frac{\hat{y}\frac{a}{2}}{(\frac{a^2}{4}+x^2)^{3/2}}dx-\int_{\frac{-a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}}\frac{\hat{y}\frac{a}{2}}{(\frac{a^2}{4}+x^2)^{3/2}}dx
[/itex]

Being lazier than @BvU, I would use symmetry and note that the four line integrals along each side must be equal because if one rotated the square by 90o or 180o or 270o while you were not looking at it, you wouldn't know the difference. So there is only one integral to do. But wait, there is another symmetry to consider. Do you see what it is?

kuruman said:
Being lazier than @BvU, I would use symmetry and note that the four line integrals along each side must be equal because if one rotated the square by 90o or 180o or 270o while you were not looking at it, you wouldn't know the difference. So there is only one integral to do. But wait, there is another symmetry to consider. Do you see what it is?
I don't see it...

You know that each of the four line integrals gives you the same number by symmetry. You also know that the result around the closed loop is zero. What does this say about the line integral along one of the sides? How can you get that number? Hint: Look at segment E2. Consider two points on it at ##+x## and ##-x##. What is ##\vec E \cdot d\vec l## at these points?

kuruman said:
Being lazier than @BvU
Impossible :-p . Apart from that: We both want to exploit symmetry. Can be done from the math side and/or from the physics side

Related to Can someone check my setup for finding E.dl?

1. How do I set up my experiment to find E.dl?

To set up your experiment, you will need to first determine the materials and equipment needed, such as a power source, conducting material, and measuring devices. Then, you will need to follow the steps of your chosen method for finding E.dl, which may involve measuring the voltage across the conducting material and the distance between the plates.

2. What is E.dl and why is it important to measure?

E.dl is the product of electric field strength (E) and the distance between two parallel plates (d) with a uniform electric field between them. It is important to measure because it can provide insight into the properties of the electric field, such as the magnitude and direction, and can be used to calculate other parameters such as capacitance.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy of my E.dl measurement?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to properly calibrate your measuring devices, use precision instruments, and conduct multiple trials to account for any errors. It is also important to follow the steps of your chosen method carefully and record all data accurately.

4. What are some common errors that can occur when measuring E.dl?

Common errors when measuring E.dl include variations in voltage due to external factors, such as electromagnetic interference, and errors in measurement due to a lack of precision or calibration. It is important to take measures to reduce or account for these errors to obtain accurate results.

5. Can someone check my E.dl setup for accuracy?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have someone else check your setup for accuracy. This can help identify any errors or inconsistencies that may have been overlooked. It is also helpful to consult with other scientists or experts in the field for guidance and feedback on your setup.