Can someone check my solution to a trigonometric equation?

In summary: I thought it was clear from the given equations, but I'll make sure to include that next time. Thank you for your feedback! In summary, the solution to the given equation is θ = 3π/4 + kπ or θ = π/4 + kπ, where k is an integer.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

4sec2θ tanθ = 8 tanθ

Homework Equations

sec2θ = tan2θ + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

4(tan2 + 1) tanθ = 8 tanθ
(4tan2 + 4) tanθ = 8 tanθ
4 tan3 + 4 tanθ = 8 tanθ
4 tan3 - 4 tanθ = 0
4tanθ(tan2θ - 1) = 0

4tanθ = 0
tanθ = 0
tan-1(tanθ) = tan-1(0)
tan-1θ = 0, π

tan2θ - 1 = 0
(tanθ + 1)(tanθ - 1) = 0

tanθ + 1 = 0
tanθ = -1
tan-1tanθ = tan-1(-1)
tan-1θ = 3π/4, 7π/4

tanθ - 1 = 0
tanθ = 1
tan-1tanθ = tan-1(1)
tan-1θ = π/4, 5π/4

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks completely correct to me

Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

4sec2θ tanθ = 8 tanθ

Homework Equations

sec2θ = tan2θ + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

4(tan2 + 1) tanθ = 8 tanθ
(4tan2 + 4) tanθ = 8 tanθ
4 tan3 + 4 tanθ = 8 tanθ
4 tan3 - 4 tanθ = 0
4tanθ(tan2θ - 1) = 0

4tanθ = 0
tanθ = 0
tan-1(tanθ) = tan-1(0)
tan-1θ = 0, π

tan2θ - 1 = 0
(tanθ + 1)(tanθ - 1) = 0

tanθ + 1 = 0
tanθ = -1
tan-1tanθ = tan-1(-1)
tan-1θ = 3π/4, 7π/4

tanθ - 1 = 0
tanθ = 1
tan-1tanθ = tan-1(1)
tan-1θ = π/4, 5π/4
Your solutions above are fine if the question is asking for solutions θ such that 0 ≤ θ ≤ 2π, but if the question is asking for all solutions, then the work above is not complete.

I should also add that some of what you wrote is incorrect.
tan-1θ = 0, π
This should be θ = 0 or θ = π -- the tan-1 business shouldn't be there. The same is true on the other two sections where you have done this.

Mark44 said:
but if the question is asking for all solutions, then the work above is not complete.

Isn't it just θ = 3π/4 + kπ or θ = π/4 + kπ?

Mark44 said:
This should be θ = 0 or θ = π -- the tan-1 business shouldn't be there. The same is true on the other two sections where you have done this.

Okay, that's useful to know.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Isn't it just θ = 3π/4 + kπ or θ = π/4 + kπ?
Yes, but since you didn't include any information about the expected solutions, I didn't know exactly what the problem was asking for.

Oh, sorry.

Related to Can someone check my solution to a trigonometric equation?

1. How do I know if my solution to a trigonometric equation is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute your values back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a graphing calculator to plot the equation and see if your solution lies on the graph.

2. Can someone check my solution to a trigonometric equation even if they are not an expert in trigonometry?

Yes, anyone can check your solution to a trigonometric equation by following the steps mentioned in question 1. However, it is always best to have an expert in trigonometry review your solution to ensure accuracy.

3. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving a trigonometric equation?

Some common mistakes when solving a trigonometric equation include forgetting to use inverse trigonometric functions, missing solutions by restricting the domain, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of these potential errors.

4. Is there a specific method or formula to solve all trigonometric equations?

No, there are different methods and formulas to solve different types of trigonometric equations. Some common methods include using trigonometric identities, factoring, or using the unit circle. It is important to understand the type of equation and choose the appropriate method to solve it.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation manually and only use a calculator as a tool to check your work or for complex calculations.