Can someone double check my answers to this practice exam?

• Thread starter RUphysics3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, having someone double check your answers to a practice exam is highly beneficial as it allows for mistakes to be caught and corrected, leading to a better understanding of the material. You can ask anyone you trust to double check your answers, such as a classmate, teacher, or tutor, and it is important to choose someone with a good understanding of the material. The best way to know if your answers are correct is to compare them to the provided answer key or have someone double check them. Having someone double check your answers is not considered cheating, but it is important to make sure they are not giving you the correct answers without allowing you to think for yourself. It is recommended to have someone double check your answers at least once, but
RUphysics3

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/ugrad/123/prevExams/CH1_2014.pdf

Homework Equations

basically just kinematics, projectile motion, and force equations.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got :
1. either B or D
2. D
3.B
4.A
5.E
6.C
7.D
8.A
9.B
10.B
11.A
12.C
13.B
14.E
15.C
16.A
17.A
I was using this practice exam to study but quickly realized there were no answers posted, so I'm unaware if what I'm doing is correct..
Thank you! [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I get different answers for 1, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16.

Likes RUphysics3
thank you!

haruspex said:
I get different answers for 1, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16.
okay, so for 1. I think it's B because A can't be true since part of the slope is negative and thus negative velocity. C can't be true because at t=1 the velocity is positive, and t=7 the velocity is negative. D can't be true because the acceleration is zero at that point because the position plot is a line without a changing slope. E can't be true because at t=6, the ball has a negative velocity.

Now ,
10. The helicopter goes up 1000 m. Now it begins to move 45 degrees at an acceleration of 2 m/s^2 for 30 seconds.. so final velocity= 2(30). to find avg velocity, i did (vfinal-vinitial)/2 which brings us to 30. so 30 m/s * 30 seconds = 900 ft..so i did 900+1000 = 1900..i think i went wrong somewhere calculating velocity because Vinitial might not have been 0 as the copter was already in motion but idk how to find vinitial..

11. i don't even know how to approach this question. i suppose its something to do with projectile motion definitions.. maybe to do with the the independence of x and y components

13. Now i got D. i got this because i re-read the question, it says "relative to the water", so I just divided .20 km by 8 m/s to see how long it would take.

14. I got D, i just added the components of the two forces and solved for magnitude.

16. now i got B, realized i plugged into equation incorrectly..

RUphysics3 said:
okay, so for 1. I think it's B because A can't be true since part of the slope is negative and thus negative velocity. C can't be true because at t=1 the velocity is positive, and t=7 the velocity is negative. D can't be true because the acceleration is zero at that point because the position plot is a line without a changing slope. E can't be true because at t=6, the ball has a negative velocity.

Now ,
10. The helicopter goes up 1000 m. Now it begins to move 45 degrees at an acceleration of 2 m/s^2 for 30 seconds.. so final velocity= 2(30). to find avg velocity, i did (vfinal-vinitial)/2 which brings us to 30. so 30 m/s * 30 seconds = 900 ft..so i did 900+1000 = 1900..i think i went wrong somewhere calculating velocity because Vinitial might not have been 0 as the copter was already in motion but idk how to find vinitial..

11. i don't even know how to approach this question. i suppose its something to do with projectile motion definitions.. maybe to do with the the independence of x and y components

13. Now i got D. i got this because i re-read the question, it says "relative to the water", so I just divided .20 km by 8 m/s to see how long it would take.

14. I got D, i just added the components of the two forces and solved for magnitude.

16. now i got B, realized i plugged into equation incorrectly..

okay so..
10. found it somewhere online. i was calculating it where it was 1000 feet straight up and then 900 ft in a direction that was 45 degrees clockwise to that, but apparently it's supposed to be a 90 degree turn then 900 feet. so then its just sqrt(1000^2+900^2)=1350 (A)
11. Okay, so h=1/2gt^2. so as max height increases, so does time in air. this means that C must be correct!

RUphysics3 said:
okay so..
10. found it somewhere online. i was calculating it where it was 1000 feet straight up and then 900 ft in a direction that was 45 degrees clockwise to that, but apparently it's supposed to be a 90 degree turn then 900 feet. so then its just sqrt(1000^2+900^2)=1350 (A)
11. Okay, so h=1/2gt^2. so as max height increases, so does time in air. this means that C must be correct!
All good now except for 13.

Likes RUphysics3

Related to Can someone double check my answers to this practice exam?

1. How important is it to have someone double check my answers to a practice exam?

Having someone double check your answers to a practice exam is extremely important. It allows for any mistakes or misunderstandings to be caught and corrected, which can greatly improve your understanding of the material.

2. Who should I ask to double check my answers to a practice exam?

You can ask anyone you trust to double check your answers, such as a classmate, teacher, or tutor. It's important to choose someone who has a good understanding of the material and can provide helpful feedback.

3. How do I know if my practice exam answers are correct?

The best way to know if your practice exam answers are correct is to compare them to the correct answers provided by your teacher or the answer key. If you have someone double check your answers, they can also help identify any incorrect or unclear responses.

4. Is it cheating to have someone double check my answers to a practice exam?

No, having someone double check your answers is not considered cheating. It is a helpful study strategy that can improve your understanding of the material and prepare you for the actual exam. However, it is important to make sure the person double checking your answers is not giving you the correct answers without allowing you to think for yourself.

5. How often should I have someone double check my practice exam answers?

It is recommended to have someone double check your practice exam answers at least once, but you can also have multiple people check them for different perspectives. Ultimately, the goal is to identify any mistakes and improve your understanding, so it's up to you to decide how many times you need to have your answers checked.