Can someone explain elastic band physics

In summary, you would use a resistance band to create a bungee jumping cord, and drop an egg from a second story window. You would need to experiment to determine the parameters for the system, and wear goggles to avoid injury.
Pianodude132
in my physics class we have to create a device that will make an egg not break after being dropped from a second story window. my idea was to take a strength training resistance band and use it like a bungee jumping cord and have the egg drop to the bottom without breaking.
what are the formulas for this?
can i have the band weighed down so it doesn't spring back up until after i unhook the egg at the bottom?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pianodude132 said:
in my physics class we have to create a device that will make an egg not break after being dropped from a second story window. my idea was to take a strength training resistance band and use it like a bungee jumping cord and have the egg drop to the bottom without breaking.
what are the formulas for this?
can i have the band weighed down so it doesn't spring back up until after i unhook the egg at the bottom?
thanks

You can approximate the bungee cord as a spring and somewhat model it's behavior with ##m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + \beta \frac{dx}{dt} +kx = f(t)##. Where m is the mass, ##\beta## is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, and f(t) would be the forcing function. k is ## \frac {F}{s} = k## which you can determine experimentally. ##\beta## will depend both on the material you use and the damping effect as the system moves through air. x will be the displacement. f(t) will be zero in this case.

So you basically want to create it so that the system is over-damped, and the equilibrium position is somewhere off the ground of the drop sight. I wouldn't try to calculate this, as the simple model above isn't going to be accurate enough, basically you're going to want to do a lot of trial and error experimentation.

Make sure you wear goggles when playing around, don't want to lose an eye!

thanks very much!

You could also use a length of string with a short length of elastic to absorb the shock when the string becomes tight.

FAQ: Can someone explain elastic band physics

1. What is elastic band physics?

Elastic band physics is the study of the behavior of rubber bands or elastic materials when they are stretched or compressed. It involves understanding the forces and energy involved in the deformation of these materials.

2. How do rubber bands stretch?

Rubber bands stretch due to the entanglement of polymer chains within the material. When a force is applied, the chains straighten out, allowing the material to elongate. The more a rubber band is stretched, the more chains become aligned and the greater the force it can withstand before breaking.

3. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force applied to an elastic material is directly proportional to its deformation. This means that the more a rubber band is stretched, the greater the force it exerts. However, this only applies within the material's elastic limit, meaning that once the force is removed, the material will return to its original shape and size.

4. How does temperature affect elastic band physics?

Temperature can affect elastic band physics in two ways. First, at higher temperatures, the polymer chains within the material become more mobile, making it easier to stretch the material. Second, temperature can also cause changes in the material's molecular structure, altering its elasticity and overall behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of elastic band physics?

Elastic band physics is used in many everyday objects, such as rubber bands, bungee cords, and even clothing. It is also a crucial concept in engineering, as it helps in the design of structures and materials that can withstand various forces and deformations. Additionally, understanding elastic band physics is essential in fields such as biomechanics and robotics, where the properties of elastic materials are utilized to mimic human muscle movement.