Can someone explain Euler angles?

In summary, "Euler" angles refer to a sequence of three rotations about a set of axes, while Tait-Bryan, Cardan, and coordinate rotations are all specific cases of this concept. These rotations are not commutative and the order in which they are performed can affect the resulting values of the angles. Some confusion may arise due to different conventions and usages of the term "Euler angles."
makc
Can someone explain "Euler" angles?

From what I read, "Euler" rotations are composed out of matrices like

Code:
* * 0   1 0 0   * * 0
* * 0   0 * *   * * 0
0 0 1   0 * *   0 0 1

which is pretty distinctive in that they rotate around same axis twice, and makes
sense for devices like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gimbaleuler.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gyroscope_operation.gif

another property of that, as I read somewhere, is that you can combine these
matrices in any order, and it kinda makes sense, again, if you look at the device above
(or does it not...?)

On the other hand, there are Tait-Bryan aka Cardan aka coordinate rotations,
which have these matrices like

Code:
1 0 0   * 0 *   * * 0
0 * *   0 1 0   * * 0
0 * *   * 0 *   0 0 1

that are order-dependant.

I was starting to think I am getting it right, but this article puts it under "euler"
angles (formulas 43 to 54) - what a hell?

Can someone here please explain precise meaning of "Euler" angles?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
makc said:
another property of that, as I read somewhere, is that you can combine these matrices in any order

Rotations in three-space do not commute. For a given rotation, the values of the Euler angles depends not only on the axes but also the order.

On the other hand, there are Tait-Bryan aka Cardan aka coordinate rotations ...

These are also called "Euler angles" in some circles. Quoting from the mathworld article:
mathworld said:
There are several conventions for Euler angles, depending on the axes about which the rotations are carried out.

makc said:
Can someone here please explain precise meaning of "Euler" angles?
There is none. All the term "Euler angles" denotes a sequence of three rotations about a set of axes. Most astronomers use the term "Euler angles" to mean a sequence of right handed rotations about the z axis, then the x axis, and then the z-axis again, but even amongst astronomers that usage is not universal.

ok, I'm back here after some more reading. looks like consensus euler angles refer to any 3 ordered rotations about different axis every next time, and tait-bryan is just a special case.

someone confused me about the order... in that gyros, rings clearly come one after another, so there is an order. stupid me.

Goldschmidt has a good discussion of this.

Related to Can someone explain Euler angles?

1. What are Euler angles and how are they used in science?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that are used to represent the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics to describe the rotation of a rigid body.

2. How do Euler angles differ from other methods of representing rotation?

Euler angles are unique in that they represent rotations as a sequence of three distinct rotations around different axes, whereas other methods such as quaternions represent rotations as a single mathematical object.

3. What is the advantage of using Euler angles over other methods?

The advantage of using Euler angles is that they are intuitive and easy to understand, making them useful for visualizing and analyzing rotations in three-dimensional space.

4. What does each Euler angle represent?

The three Euler angles represent rotations around three distinct axes, typically denoted as roll (rotation around the x-axis), pitch (rotation around the y-axis), and yaw (rotation around the z-axis).

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Euler angles?

One limitation of Euler angles is that they can suffer from the phenomenon known as gimbal lock, where certain orientations can cause two of the angles to become redundant. This can lead to inaccuracies in calculations and is often avoided by using alternative methods such as quaternions.