Can someone explain the resolution to the complex power paradox?

In summary, the paradox arises from the inconsistency in choosing branches of the complex logarithm function. While the identity (w^b)^c=w^{bc} holds for complex numbers under certain assumptions, the choice of branch for Log(e^{1+2\pi i}) is different in the two equations being compared, leading to a fallacious result. This highlights the importance of understanding the multivalued nature of complex functions and being consistent in branch choices.
LAHLH
Hi,

Can anyone help me resolve and understand this paradox:

[tex] e=e^{1+2i\pi} [/tex]

and so

[tex] e=\left[e^{1+2\pi i}\right]^{1+2\pi i}=e^{1+4\pi i-4\pi^2}=e^{1-4\pi^2} [/tex]

which is obviously fallacious. This paradox is from Roger Penrose Road to Reality and is currently hurting my head. I keep thinking I'm pretty close, but I don't feel I've fully grasped the resolution yet, could someone spell it out?

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First [itex]e^{i\pi} = -1[/itex]. This is called Euler's formula.
Secondly, and more importantly, for arbitrary complex numbers [itex](a^{b})^c \neq a^{bc}[/itex]. There are times when you get equality, and times when you don't.

Yeah, I know these things but still lack a full understanding I feel.

I am a physicist btw not amateur reading the book (all the more shameful that I can't quite get my head around this given I've taken courses in complex analysis and all that :s).

My ideas so far:

[tex] w^z=e^{zLn(w)}=e^{z(lnw+k2\pi i)} [/tex] again I use ln as principal branch and capitalised Ln as multivalued logarithm.

So [tex] e^{z}=e^{zLne}=e^{z(lne+k2\pi i)}=e^{z(1+k2\pi i)} [/tex]

One can think of e^z as the multivalued function E(z) which maps a given z to a multitude of values, the value we get depends on our definition of Ln(e) (that is to say, which branch we take).

Considering E(1) this could equal e^1 (k=0) or it could equal [tex] e^{1+2\pi i} [/tex] (k=1) just depending on which branch we take. But it is not necessarily true that [tex] e^1=E(1)= e^{1+2\pi i} [/tex] implies that [tex] e=e^{1+2\pi i} [/tex]. Anymore than it is true that [tex] 5=sqrt(25)=-5 [/tex] implies that 5=-5. Although I think in this example because of Euler, one can say [tex] e=e^{1+2\pi i} [/tex] without issue.

Although I've read other accounts actually critiquing this first line of the fallacy too, but I can't see a problem. (see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponentiation#Failure_of_power_and_logarithm_identities)

The article explains this part of the fallacy as: "It is that e is a real number whereas the result of e1+2πin is a complex number better represented as e+0i." But I can't see what the difference is between a real x and a complex number x+0i??

But then yes, somehow applying the formula [tex] (a^b)^c=a^{bc} [/tex] affects which principal value is chosen in a non-consistent way...this is what I'm struggling to see...

I think the paradox emerges from branching in Complex Analysis. When the sum of the arguments is greater than 2pi, then it's crossing over any single-valued branch of the [itex]\arg[/itex] multifunction. That is:

[tex](e^a)^b=e^{ab}[/tex]

if

[tex] |Im(a)|+|Im(b)|<2\pi[/tex]

Or if just the principal branch is used, then each argument has to be less than [itex]\pi[/itex]

So that we can write:

[tex]\left(e^{1+(\pi+0.01)i}\right)^{1+(\pi+0.01)i}\neq e^{[1+(\pi+0.01)i]^2}[/tex]

but:

[tex]\left(e^{1+(\pi-0.01)i}\right)^{1+(\pi-0.01)i}= e^{[1+(\pi-0.01)i]^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Interesting jackmell, seems to be along the correct lines.

Also in the Penrose book, he states that [tex] (w^a)^b=w^{ab}[/tex] where once we have made a choice for Logw on RHS we must (for LHS) make the choice Logw^a=aLogw

We have here [tex] (e^{1+2\pi i})^{1+2\pi i} =e^{(1+2\pi i)(1+2\pi i)} [/tex] on the RHS the choice of Loge=1, then we must make the choice for LHS [tex] Log(e^{1+2\pi i})=(1+2\pi)Loge=(1+2\pi)[/tex]

However in the very first equation we had [tex] e=e^{1+2\pi i} [/tex] which taking logs on each side assumes that [tex] Log(e^{1+2\pi i})=Log(e)=1 [/tex], where Log(e)=1 and not 1+i2pi so as to be consistent with how we chose it on RHS of first equation originally.I don't know if this argument is true or not, but it seems like it should involve something like this, if anyone can spell it out I'd be grateful.

Last edited:
I've attached my attempt at resolution. I don't know if it's correct so if anyone could comment that would great, or if anyone has a simple solution..

Attachments

• paradox.pdf
    76.4 KB · Views: 332
The problem is that you are trying to think of complex numbers as though they are real. That is the so-called paradox.

(ea)b = eab does not hold in the complex plane in general.

deluks917 said:
(ea)b = eab does not hold in the complex plane in general.

I'm pretty sure it is covered in complex analysis

Yes of course, I know [tex] (w^b)^c=w^{bc} [/tex] doesn't hold in the complex plane. It was mentioned on post #2 of this thread, and it even says it next to the problem in the Penrose book, and yes of course I have studied it. BUT the problem is a little more than just saying that this law doesn't hold for complex numbers in general: because it does hold for complex numbers under certain assumptions...namely once you make a choice for Logw=k on the RHS, if you choose Log(w^b)=bk on LHS the law [tex] (w^b)^c=w^{bc} [/tex] holds!

The question really is where does the inconsistency in branch cut choices arise.

My belief at this point is that you are making two different choices of branch of the function [tex] Log(e^{1+2\pi i}) [/tex] (one in formula #1 and a different one in assuming the identity [tex] (w^b)^c=w^{bc} [/tex] and that is why you get into trouble ...

Related to Can someone explain the resolution to the complex power paradox?

1. What is the complex power paradox?

The complex power paradox is a concept in physics that refers to the idea that the power (the rate at which energy is transferred) consumed by a purely resistive load (such as a light bulb) can be greater than the power consumed by a reactive load (such as an inductor or capacitor) even though the reactive load stores and releases energy.

2. How is this paradox possible?

This paradox is possible because the power consumed by a reactive load is not simply the product of voltage and current (like in a resistive load), but also depends on the phase difference between the two. When the voltage and current are out of phase, the power consumed by the reactive load can be negative, meaning energy is actually being transferred from the load to the source.

3. How does this relate to AC circuits?

In AC circuits, the voltage and current are constantly changing, so the power consumed by a reactive load can vary depending on the frequency and phase of the AC signal. This can result in the complex power paradox, where a reactive load may appear to consume less power than a resistive load, even though it is storing and releasing energy.

4. What are some real-world applications of the complex power paradox?

The complex power paradox is relevant in power systems and electrical engineering, where reactive loads are common. It is also important in understanding power consumption in devices like motors, transformers, and power supplies. In renewable energy systems, such as wind and solar, the complex power paradox can affect the efficiency and stability of the power generated.

5. How is the complex power paradox resolved?

The complex power paradox is not truly a paradox, but rather a result of the mathematical definition of power in AC circuits. By using a different definition of power, known as apparent power, the paradox can be resolved. Apparent power takes into account the effects of both the resistive and reactive components of a load, and is used in calculating power in AC circuits.