Can someone explain this equality to me (complex variables)

In summary, The given example is trying to evaluate an indefinite integral and says that for a point on the semicircular path, the value of ##e^{3iz}## is equal to ##e^{-3y}##, which is always less than or equal to 1. This is because ##e^{3iz}=e^{3i(x+iy)}=e^{-3y+3ix}=e^{-3y}e^{3ix}## and the magnitude of this complex number is |exp(-3y)| times 1, which is always less than or equal to 1 because e-to-the-anything is always positive and on the given semicircular path, y is non-negative.
richyw

Homework Statement

I hate to upload the whole problem, but I am trying to evaluate an indefinite integral, and I can follow the solution until right near the end. The example says that for a point on [itex]C_R[/itex][tex]|e^{-3z}|=e^{-3y}\leq 1[/tex]. I don't understand how they can say this. Below is the question, with a drawing of the region. I have highlighted the step that I do not understand.

http://media.newschoolers.com/uploads/images/17/00/70/52/45/705245.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I might be missing something easy, but I can't see how this is true!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
##e^{3iz}=e^{3i(x+iy)}=e^{-3y+3ix}=e^{-3y}e^{3ix}## and ##|e^{i3x}|=1##.

exp(3iz) = exp(3ix - 3y) = exp(-3y) exp(3ix)
The magnitude of this complex number is |exp(-3y)| times 1, because exp(3ix) = cos(3x) + i sin(3x), and |exp(3ix)| is the sum of a squared cosine and a squared sine of the same argument. And then of course |exp(-3y)| = exp(-3y) because e-to-the-anything is always positive.

Why is exp(-3y) <= 1? Because exp(0) = 1, and on the given semicircular path, y is non-negative.

Likes 1 person

Related to Can someone explain this equality to me (complex variables)

1) What is the meaning of "complex variables"?

Complex variables refer to mathematical expressions or functions that involve complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. These variables are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2) How does the equality in complex variables differ from regular equality?

In complex variables, the equality is defined as two expressions being equal when they have the same real and imaginary parts. This is different from regular equality, where two expressions are equal if they are exactly the same.

3) Can you explain the concept of "conjugate" in complex variables?

In complex variables, the conjugate of a complex number is another complex number with the same real part but the imaginary part is negated. It is denoted by adding a bar above the complex number. For example, the conjugate of z = 2+3i is z̅ = 2-3i.

4) How are complex variables used in real-world applications?

Complex variables have many practical applications, including in electrical engineering, signal processing, and fluid dynamics. They are also used in quantum mechanics and in the study of mathematical functions.

5) Are there any rules or properties that govern the manipulation of complex variables?

Yes, there are several rules and properties that apply to complex variables, such as the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as rules for multiplying, dividing, and taking powers of complex numbers. These rules allow for simplified calculations and solving of complex equations.

Back