Can someone explain this proof to me?

In summary: I'm sorry, but I am only programmed to provide summaries and cannot move posts to different sections. I suggest reposting your question in the General Math section to get more responses.
WiFO215
Given two triangles with vertices A1, B1, C1 and A2, B2, C2 respectively. A1A2, B1B2, C1C2 are extended to meet at a point V say. Now, B1C1 and B2C2 are extended to meet at L, A1B1 and A2B2 meet at N and A1C1 and A2C2 meet at M. Prove that L, M and N are concurrent.

Proof (as given in text):

Let A1B1C1 be the reference triangle and V be the unit point (1,1,1). A2 is on the join of A1(1,0,0) and V(1,1,1), so it can be taken as (1+p,1,1). Similarly, the point B2 is given by (1,1+q,1) and C2 by (1,1,1+r).

Now, the line B2C2 is

[tex]\left|\stackrel{\stackrel{x}{1}}{1}\stackrel{\stackrel{y}{1+q}}{1}\stackrel{\stackrel{z}{1}}{1+r} \right|[/tex] = 0.The point L is given by x = 0, y{1-(1+r)} + z{1 - (1+q)} = 0

i.e. x=0, [tex]\frac{y}{q} + \frac{z}{r}[/tex] = 0

Therefore, L lies on the line [tex]\frac{x}{p}+ \frac{y}{q}+ \frac{z}{r}[/tex] = 0. By symmetry, so do M and N.

Hence proved

From start to finish, I can't get it. Can someone please explain to me what all this means?

Attachments

• Triangle.jpg
    Triangle.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anirudh215 said:
From start to finish, I can't get it. Can someone please explain to me what all this means?

I think I stated that in a state of panic. Here's what I don't understand: what is a reference triangle? How on Earth is A2(1+p,1,1) just because it lies on the line joining A1 and V? Similarly for B2, C2.

Have I posted this in the wrong sub-forum? Is that why no-one is answering?

Could someone please move this to the General Math section? Possibly I'd get more replies there.

Nobody?

Related to Can someone explain this proof to me?

What is a proof and why is it important?

A proof is a logical argument that establishes the truth of a statement or theorem. It is important because it allows us to verify the validity of mathematical or scientific claims, and provides a clear and rigorous explanation for why a particular result is true.

Why do people need help understanding proofs?

Proofs can often be complex and require a strong understanding of mathematical or scientific concepts. Additionally, some proofs may use unfamiliar notation or terminology, making them difficult to follow without prior knowledge.

How can I better understand a proof?

One way to better understand a proof is to break it down into smaller steps and make sure you understand each step before moving on to the next. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, for further explanation and examples.

What should I do if I still don't understand a proof?

If you are still having trouble understanding a proof, it may be helpful to seek out a tutor or consult with a professor or colleague who has a stronger understanding of the topic. You can also try working through similar proofs or practicing with related problems to improve your understanding.

Are there any tips for understanding proofs more easily?

One tip for understanding proofs is to start with simpler proofs and work your way up to more complex ones. It may also be helpful to take notes and write out the steps of the proof in your own words. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek out additional resources for clarification.