Can someone explain to me how this is not 1/4? Complex Analy

In summary, a student was trying to evaluate the residue at z=i but was getting a different answer than the given solution. After some discussion and input from another student, it was determined that the mistake was in a simplification error, where the student had eliminated a negative sign without realizing it. The correct solution was found to be -i/4, which was equivalent to the given solution of 1/4i.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi all, I posted the image of the solution here.

My questions concerns the evaluation of the Residue at z=i.

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 10.40.56 PM.png

Homework Equations

None needed, all giving in the question -- simple algebraic mistake made is likely to be the problem here.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

We see that phi function is clearly equal to 1/(z+i)^2 as the show.
Since it is a pole of order two, we must differentiate this function first before evaluation at singular point i.

The derivative of this function should be -2/(z+i)^(3)

Now we can evaluate this at point z=i.
-2/(2i)^3 = -2/8i^3 = -1/4i^3. When I calculate this, this becomes i/4

But the answer states that this is instead 1/4i.

Where am I going wrong in my complex algebra?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Hi all, I posted the image of the solution here.

My questions concerns the evaluation of the Residue at z=i.

View attachment 86988

Homework Equations

None needed, all giving in the question -- simple algebraic mistake made is likely to be the problem here.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

We see that phi function is clearly equal to 1/(z+i)^2 as the show.
Since it is a pole of order two, we must differentiate this function first before evaluation at singular point i.

The derivative of this function should be -2/(z+i)^(3)

Now we can evaluate this at point z=i.
-2/(2i)^3 = -2/8i^3 = 1/4i^3. When I calculate this, this becomes i/4

But the answer states that this is instead 1/4i.

Where am I going wrong in my complex algebra?

Looks like a simple algebra mistake. When you simplify for the second time you eliminate the negative sign, effectively dividing by -1. That's why your answer differs by a factor of -1.

Likes RJLiberator
Wopps. good catch, that was a mistake in my post, but not the mistake i wanted to clarify. (I've seen edited my original post for future readers).

The problem is, when I evaluate this, it comes to -1/4i^3 and I believe this is equal to i/4 as per wolfram alpha, etc.
However, in the image, it shows that this is not the case. Instead, the image shows the solution to be 1/4i.

What's going on here? My only other line of thinking is this: They split up -1/4i^3 into -1/(4i^2*i)

Oh...

That works...

-1/(4i^2*i) = 1/4i
But, why would they not simplify this further so that it is i/4? The final answer would then be the negative of what the solution offers.

But, why would they not simplify this further so that it is i/4?
Because that would not be a valid simplification. 1/i = -i, and so we would need -i/4 and not i/4.

I'd be interested in seeing this Wolfram Alpha output you speak of ...

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, I see. The that is indeed the mistake I was performing. Did not have parentheses around the denominator in wolfram alpha.

So it does come out to be -i/4. Which with that negative factor, makes them equivalent.

You have successfully helped me solve this problem and furthered my understanding.
Thank you.

Did not have parentheses around the denominator in wolfram alpha.
Aha! That's the reason.

Glad I could help.

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Can someone explain to me how this is not 1/4? Complex Analy

1. How is it possible for something to not equal 1/4?

In mathematics, there are many different ways to represent numbers. When we say something is equal to 1/4, we are using a specific representation called a fraction. However, there are other ways to represent numbers, such as decimals or percentages. So, while something may not equal 1/4 as a fraction, it could still be equivalent to 1/4 in a different representation.

2. Can you provide an example of something that is not equal to 1/4?

One example could be the decimal representation of 0.25. While this number may look the same as 1/4, it is not technically equal to 1/4 as a fraction. Another example could be the percentage representation of 25%, which again looks similar to 1/4 but is not exactly the same.

3. How can something be equivalent to 1/4 but not equal to it?

In mathematics, equivalent means that two numbers represent the same value, but they may have different forms or representations. So, while something may not be equal to 1/4 as a fraction, it could still be equivalent to 1/4 in a different representation. Think of it like different languages - the word for "hello" may be different in English and Spanish, but they both convey the same greeting.

4. Is there a specific rule or formula for determining if something is equal to 1/4?

There is no specific rule or formula for determining if something is equal to 1/4. It ultimately depends on what representation or form the number is in. For example, if we are working with fractions, we can use rules for finding equivalent fractions to determine if something is equal to 1/4. However, if we are working with decimals or percentages, we would use different rules or formulas to determine equivalence.

5. Can you explain the concept of equivalent fractions in relation to 1/4?

Equivalent fractions are fractions that represent the same value, but they may have different numerators and denominators. For example, 2/8 and 1/4 are equivalent fractions because they both represent the value of 1/4. In order to determine if two fractions are equivalent, we can use the rule that multiplying or dividing both the numerator and denominator by the same number will result in an equivalent fraction. So, if we multiply 1/4 by 2/2, we get 2/8, which is equivalent to 1/4.