Can someone explain to me why this is with finding an integral

In summary: Now, the power law for integrals says that##\int x^n dx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} + C##, as long as ##n \ne -1##.
nickb145
Homework forum guidelines require the use of the homework template
Alright, I know how to find the integral of a regular function, But an inverse, is throwing me off

Can someone explain why 1/Sqrt(7t)dt is 2sqrt(t/7)

I'm probably missing something, but why does the variable end up as a numerator?

I know the inverse is 1/(r+1)x^(r+1)

So I work it out as
1/(-.5+1) which goes out to 2

then the rest
(7t)^-1/2+1
(7t)^1/2
(what am I missing here)
=2sqrt(t/7)+C

Physics news on Phys.org
nickb145 said:
Alright, I know how to find the integral of a regular function, But an inverse, is throwing me off

Can someone explain why 1/Sqrt(7t)dt is 2sqrt(t/7)

I'm probably missing something, but why does the variable end up as a numerator?

I know the inverse is 1/(r+1)x^(r+1)

So I work it out as
1/(-.5+1) which goes out to 2

then the rest
(7t)^-1/2+1
(7t)^1/2
(what am I missing here)
=2sqrt(t/7)+C

So, you are saying that
[tex] \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{7t}} \, dt = 2 \sqrt{t/7} + C[/tex]
You can check by taking the derivative of your answer with respect to t and see if it gives you back the integrand. That is something you should always do, and when you do it you will have answered your own question.

It always helps me to think of
##\sqrt{7t}=(7t)^{1/2}##. Or in your case,
##\int (7t)^{-1/2} dt##

FAQ: Can someone explain to me why this is with finding an integral

1. Why is finding an integral important in science?

Finding an integral is important in science because it allows us to calculate the area under a curve, which is essential in many scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us to analyze and understand the behavior of a system over time.

2. What is the process for finding an integral?

The process for finding an integral involves taking the antiderivative of a function and then evaluating it at specific limits. This is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and is the basis for solving integrals.

3. Can you explain the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits that define the area under the curve, while an indefinite integral does not have limits and represents a family of functions that have the same derivative. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a general solution.

4. How does the choice of integration method affect the result?

The choice of integration method can greatly affect the result of an integral. Different methods, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions, may be more suitable for different types of functions. It is important to choose the right method to accurately solve the integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding an integral?

Finding an integral has numerous real-world applications, including calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine displacement, finding the total cost or revenue of a business, and analyzing the growth rate of a population. It is also used in physics to calculate work, energy, and momentum.