Can someone explain why the voltage here is zero?

In summary, the voltage over the 80k resistor is 0, but it doesn't make sense because there is no current through it. Can someone explain why there is no current through it?
Jonas E

Homework Statement

I have the circuit in the picture below, and using KCL and KVL I found that the voltage over the 80k resistor is 0. However, I don't understand why this is correct. Can someone explain why there is no current through it?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the node voltage method to get 25ib + 1/(16k)-i0 = 0. After that I used KVL through the 80k resistor, 16k resistor and 1V source, which gave me 80k * ib - 1 + 1 = 0. So ib = 0.
circuit2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonas E said:
Can someone explain why there is no current through it?
Imagine you took a resistor and wired its leads together. Why would there be any current flowing in it?

Jonas E said:
After that I used KVL through the 80k resistor, 16k resistor and 1V source, which gave me 80k * ib - 1 + 1 = 0. So ib = 0.
I guess you mean you used KVL for the two loops and "added" the equations together. There's no loop that takes you through each of those components.

You could have stopped at 80k*ib = 0.

milesyoung said:
Imagine you took a resistor and wired its leads together. Why would there be any current flowing in it?I guess you mean you used KVL for the two loops and "added" the equations together. There's no loop that takes you through each of those components.

You could have stopped at 80k*ib = 0.

Thanks for the reply. Could you also tell if the energy in a capacitor at time t equals half of its capacitance times its voltage at time t? So w(t) = 1/2 * C * v(t) ?

milesyoung said:

Sorry, I forgot to square the voltage. But is this correct then: w(t) = 1/2 * C * [v(t)] ^2 ? I couldn't understand the wikipedia article. You see, I used this formula, but it doesn't give me the right answer

Jonas E said:
You see, I used this formula, but it doesn't give me the right answer
Answer for what? There's no capacitor in your schematic.

milesyoung said:
Answer for what? There's no capacitor in your schematic.

EDIT: Ok, sorry again, but I just found out what I did wrong: When taking the square root, I forgot that there would be two answers. The negative one turned out to be the correct one. Thanks for helping me out figure out my original problem!

Sorry, the original post was just part of the problem.

I used that schematic to find Rth = 16k ohms and Vth = -19.8 V. I used this to make an RC circuit (C = 0.25 * 10^-6 F), which I solved to find that the capacitor's voltage is given by v(t) = [ 19.8 * (e^(-250t) - 1) ]. Everything up until this point was correct according to the solutions manual. The final question was to find how long it takes for the energy stored in the capacitor to reach 36 % of its final value. This is where I set up the equation w(t) = 0.36 * w(infinity). But for some reason this doesn't give me the correct answer. I used the following values:

w(t) = 0.5 * (0.25 *10^-6) * [ 19.8 * (e^(-250t) - 1) ]^2

w(infinity) = 0.5 * (0.25 *10^-6) * [ 19.8 * ( 0 - 1) ]^2 = 4.9005 * 10^-5 J

Could you help me find the mistake in my reasoning?

Last edited:
Jonas E. You are introducing a second topic unrelated to the original post. For this RC network you must start a new thread.

I'm not satisfied that your original circuit has been correctly dispensed with yet. I think you should post the whole exercise, not just a piece, so that we can see the full picture, rather than dealing with your uncertain interpretation of a piece out of context.

Related to Can someone explain why the voltage here is zero?

1. Why is the voltage at this point exactly zero?

The voltage at a specific point is determined by the electrical potential difference between that point and a reference point. If the reference point is chosen to be at the same point as the voltage being measured, then the voltage will be zero. This means that there is no difference in electrical potential between the two points, resulting in a voltage of zero.

2. What factors can cause the voltage at a certain point to be zero?

There are several factors that can contribute to a voltage of zero at a certain point. These include a short circuit, where there is a direct connection between two points of different voltages, or a closed circuit with no voltage source present. It can also be caused by an equal distribution of charge, resulting in no difference in potential between points.

3. Can the voltage at a point ever be negative, and if so, why?

Yes, the voltage at a point can be negative. This occurs when the reference point is chosen to be at a higher potential than the point being measured. In this case, the voltage will be negative to indicate that the point is at a lower potential than the reference point.

4. Is the voltage at a point affected by the direction of current flow?

Yes, the voltage at a point is affected by the direction of current flow. This is because voltage is a measure of the electrical potential difference between two points, and the direction of current flow determines the direction of the potential difference. Reversing the direction of current flow will result in a reversal of the voltage.

5. How is voltage different from current?

Voltage and current are two different electrical properties. Voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points, while current is a measure of the flow of electrical charge. Voltage is often compared to potential energy, while current is compared to the rate of energy flow. In other words, voltage is the potential for current to flow, while current is the actual flow of electricity.