Can someone help me solve a integral problem.

• MHB
  • Thread starter Cornshe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, Cornshe asked for help in finding the centroid of a design modeled on the curve y=2x^2+6 between x=0 and x=2. They had attempted it and got an x-value of 1.38 and a y-value of 6.28, but were unsure if it was correct. The formula for finding the centroid was provided and asked if Cornshe had used it.
Cornshe
Hello,

I have a question. It is below.

A design can be modeled on a curve equivalent to the graph y= 2x^2 +6 between X=0 and X=2.

Find the centroid of the feature.

I have had a go and am getting X= 1.38 and Y = 6.28

Is this correct? If not can someone show me where i have gone wrong please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cornshe said:
Hello,

I have a question. It is below.

A design can be modeled on a curve equivalent to the graph y= 2x^2 +6 between X=0 and X=2.

Find the centroid of the feature.

I have had a go and am getting X= 1.38 and Y = 6.28

Is this correct? If not can someone show me where i have gone wrong please.

Hi Cornshe! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

If we look at a drawing of the graph, we can estimate where the centroid should be.
In particular, Y=6.28 is way to low, and X=1.38 is on the high side.

The formula for the centroid is:
\begin{cases}
L &= \int_0^2 \sqrt{1+(y')^2} dx &= \int_0^2 \sqrt{1+(4x)^2} dx \\
x_{centroid} &= \frac 1 L \int_0^2 x \sqrt{1+(y')^2} dx &= \frac 1 L \int_0^2 x \sqrt{1+(4x)^2} dx \\
y_{centroid} &= \frac 1 L \int_0^2 y \sqrt{1+(y')^2} dx &= \frac 1 L \int_0^2 (2x^2 +6) \sqrt{1+(4x)^2} dx
\end{cases}

Is that what you did?
Can you evaluate those? (Wondering)

FAQ: Can someone help me solve a integral problem.

1. What is an integral problem?

An integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or the net change of a function over a given interval. It is an important concept in calculus and is often used to solve real-world problems in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do I know when to use integration to solve a problem?

You can use integration to solve a problem when you are given a rate of change, such as velocity or acceleration, and need to find the total change over a certain period of time. You can also use integration to find the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, or the work done by a force over a distance.

3. What are the steps to solve an integral problem?

The steps to solve an integral problem are as follows:

1. Identify the function to be integrated.
  2. Determine the limits of integration, which define the interval over which the function will be integrated.
  3. Apply integration rules, such as the power rule or substitution, to evaluate the integral.
  4. Check your answer using a graphing or computational tool.

4. Can someone help me with my specific integral problem?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you solve an integral problem. You can consult a math tutor, use an online integral solver, or ask for assistance from a classmate or teacher. It is important to show your work and understand the steps involved in solving the problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral problem?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral problem include:

• Forgetting to include the constant of integration.
  • Not simplifying the integrand before integrating.
  • Incorrectly applying integration rules.
  • Forgetting to check your answer using a graphing or computational tool.
Back