Can Someone Help with Gaussian Beams?

In summary, the laser scientist tells you that her He-Ne laser can be focused to a spot size of 5.00 microns. When pressed for details, she tells you that she got this number by measuring the Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) of the intensity profile of the laser waist. If you express the intensity at the focus, r=0, in terms of w(z), you can determine what the r value is at the half-maximum points.
Green Lantern

Homework Statement

3. A laser scientist tells you that her He-Ne laser can be focused to a spot size of 5.00 microns. When pressed for details, she tells you that she got this number by measuring the Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM) of the intensity profile of the laser waist.

a) What is w(0) for this laser?

b) What fraction of the laser intensity is contained within the FHWM?

c) At what (full) angle will the beam spread over large distances, if one continues to measure the width of the laser beam to be the FHWM of the intensity?

Homework Equations

254ca016952b78f3597feda00adbb4f6.png

e58a707d1ccf4ed6cefac660633038a8.png

[PLAIN]http://www.zemax.com/kb/content_images/fwhm/Equation1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/53/GaussianBeamWaist.svg/350px-GaussianBeamWaist.svg.png[/URL]

From previous experience in a laboratory I know that the wavelength of a He-Ne laser is about 633 nm. I don't know if I can assume that for the purposes of this question. I'm using Laser Electronics 3E by Joseph Verdeyen and the book doesn't do a good job of explaining full width half maximum intensity. There's also no sample problems in the book or examples so I really can't tell if I'm doing it right. I don't know either z or z(R), although I can express z(R) in terms of w(0), but I don't know that quantity either. The equation for intensity above didn't come from my book. At least I didn't see it there. Am I supposed to use the 0.5 microns as w(z) for the intensity equation here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just going to bump this topic.

What does w(z) represent? I assume it's some sort of measure of the width of the beam, but how is it defined exactly?

The book here gives w(z) as the spot size. There is a minimum spot size at a certain point along the z-axis defined as z=0.

vela said:
What does w(z) represent? I assume it's some sort of measure of the width of the beam, but how is it defined exactly?
It's defined by this equation given in the OP:

[PLAIN]http://www.zemax.com/kb/content_images/fwhm/Equation1.jpg[/INDENT]

where I0 is the intensity at r=0. I0 and w are both functions of z. At the beam's focus, w takes on it's minimum value, denoted by w0.

Green Lantern, if you set I=I0/2 in that equation, you can determine what r is at the half-maximum points.

Green Lantern said:
From previous experience in a laboratory I know that the wavelength of a He-Ne laser is about 633 nm. I don't know if I can assume that for the purposes of this question.
Yes, that is a reasonably valid assumption.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. Thanks for the help.

Related to Can Someone Help with Gaussian Beams?

1. What is a Gaussian beam?

A Gaussian beam is a type of laser beam that has a Gaussian intensity profile, meaning that the intensity of the beam is highest at its center and decreases gradually towards the edges. It is commonly used in scientific and industrial applications due to its high quality and stability.

2. How are Gaussian beams generated?

Gaussian beams are generated using specialized lasers that have a stable resonator design. The laser beam passes through a series of mirrors and lenses, which shape and focus the beam into a Gaussian profile.

3. What are the properties of Gaussian beams?

Gaussian beams have several important properties, including a bell-shaped intensity profile, a beam width that increases with distance from the source, and a beam divergence angle that remains constant. They also have a well-defined beam waist, which is the point of highest intensity.

4. Can Gaussian beams be manipulated?

Yes, Gaussian beams can be manipulated using a variety of techniques, such as changing the beam diameter, altering the beam waist position, or introducing aberrations to the beam. These manipulations can affect the beam's properties and can be used for specific applications.

5. What are the applications of Gaussian beams?

Gaussian beams have a wide range of applications in fields such as telecommunications, laser cutting and welding, microscopy, and laser spectroscopy. They are also commonly used in research and development for their precision and stability.