Can someone please check this proof involving permutations and cycles?

In summary, we have proven that if σ is a cycle of odd length, then σ2 is also a cycle. This is shown by modeling σ as (1 2 3 4 ... 2k + 1) and representing σ2 as (1 3 5 7 ... 2k + 1 2 4 6 8 ... 2k), where the elements 1,2,3,4,...,2k + 1 remain fixed in a cycle. This proves that σ2 is indeed a cycle, and not two separate cycles, as was questioned in the conversation.
Syrus

Homework Statement

Prove: If σ is a cycle of odd length, then σ2 is a cycle.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof: Assume σ is a cycle of odd length. Then let us model σ as (1 2 3 4 ... 2k +1) for some integer k [assuming here that the fixed elements of σ are those such that 2k + 1 < i]. Note then that σ2 = (1 2 3 4 ... 2k +1)(1 2 3 4 ... 2k +1), which we may otherwise define as σ2(i) = {i + 2, i ≤ 2k - 1; 1, i = 2k; 2, i = 2k + 1; i, 2k + 1 < i}. Hence, the elements 1,2,3,4,...,2k + 1 of σ remain fixed in a cycle, and so σ2 is indeed also a cycle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Syrus! :smile:
Syrus said:
… σ2 = (1 2 3 4 ... 2k +1)(1 2 3 4 ... 2k +1), which we may otherwise define as σ2(i) = {i + 2, i ≤ 2k - 1; 1, i = 2k; 2, i = 2k + 1; i, 2k + 1 < i}. Hence, the elements 1,2,3,4,...,2k + 1 of σ remain fixed in a cycle, and so σ2 is indeed also a cycle.

How does that prove it's a cycle (and not eg 2 cycles)?

Doesn't your proof also apply to even lengths?

I think i understand what you're implying. I have now taken into account the fact that σ is odd- does this seem acceptalbe?

Proof: Assume σ is a cycle of odd length. Then let us model σ as (1 2 3 4 ... 2k + 1) for some integer k [assuming here that the fixed elements of σ are those n such that 2k + 1 < n]. Note then that σ2 = (1 2 3 4 ... 2k +1)(1 2 3 4 ... 2k + 1). Then σ2 can be alternatively represented by (1 3 5 7 ... 2k + 1 2 4 6 8 ... 2k). Since σ(2k) = 2k + 1, σ(2k + 1) = 1, and σ(1) = 2, it follows that σ2(2k) =1 and σ2(2k + 1) = 2. Hence, the elements 1,2,3,4,...,2k + 1 of σ remain fixed in a cycle, and so σ2 is indeed also a cycle.

Hi Syrus! :smile:

You could have stopped here
Syrus said:
Then σ2 can be alternatively represented by (1 3 5 7 ... 2k + 1 2 4 6 8 ... 2k).

… you've actually specified the cycle whose existence you had to prove (with all the elements distinct). :wink:

Related to Can someone please check this proof involving permutations and cycles?

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging a set of elements in a specific order. It is a mathematical concept that involves rearranging the elements without repetition.

2. How do you represent a permutation?

A permutation can be represented using a notation called cycle notation. This notation shows the elements and their respective positions in the permutation.

3. What is a cycle in a permutation?

A cycle in a permutation is a sequence of elements that are moved to their new positions. For example, in the permutation (1 2 3), the element 1 moves to position 2, element 2 moves to position 3, and element 3 moves to position 1.

4. How do you check if a permutation is valid?

To check if a permutation is valid, you can use the following criteria:

• The permutation must have the same number of elements as the original set.
  • Each element in the original set must appear in the permutation exactly once.
  • The permutation must be a unique arrangement of the elements.

5. Can a permutation have more than one cycle?

Yes, a permutation can have more than one cycle. In fact, a permutation can have as many cycles as there are elements in the set. Each cycle represents a movement of elements to their new positions.