Can someone please tell me how my book did this integration

In summary, measuring the success of a book integration can be done through sales numbers, reader feedback, and critical reviews. The key elements of a successful integration include seamless integration, high user engagement and satisfaction, and alignment with overall goals. The time it takes to complete an integration can vary and common challenges include technical difficulties and maintaining content integrity. Best practices for book integration include involving the author, conducting thorough testing, and having a clear plan in place.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Attached is a picture..

the book went from
[itex] (-1 + \frac {2}{1+u} ) du + \frac {dx}{x} = 0 [/itex]
Edited by moderator.

to

[itex] -u + 2ln(1+u) + ln(x) = ln(c) [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How in the world could the integral of 0 be ln(c)?

Maybe because it's 5 am and I'm up late and I'm hallucinating, but I always thought the integral of 0 is c, just a constant.

taking the integral of

[itex] (-1 \frac {2}{1+u} ) du + \frac {dx}{x} = 0 [/itex]

I get

[itex] (-u + 2 ln(u+1) + c ) + ln(x) + c_2 = c_3 [/itex]

[itex] -u +2ln(u+1) + ln(x) = c_4 [/itex]

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 445
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
It is an integration constant ...

Edit: And you seem to be getting exactly the same so I do not see what the problem is ...

Edit 2: Obviously, the logarithm of a constant is a constant ...

Orodruin said:
It is an integration constant ...

Edit: And you seem to be getting exactly the same so I do not see what the problem is ...

Edit 2: Obviously, the logarithm of a constant is a constant ...

I understand that but why not just write K or whatever, why include ln? Like where did ln come from? They later use properties of logarithms to write

[itex] \frac yx = ln(\frac {(x+y)^2}{cx}) [/itex] so I need to know where the ln(c) came from..

I mean I guess it makes sense since ln(c) is just a constant... I guess I've just never seen anything like this before so its new to me..

You can use either ##c## or ##\ln(c)##, it makes absolutely no difference - both are arbitrary constants. The reason they chose ##\ln(c)## is that they could take it inside the logarithm when simplifying their expression. Again, the expressions are completely equivalent.

Orodruin said:
You can use either ##c## or ##\ln(c)##, it makes absolutely no difference - both are arbitrary constants. The reason they chose ##\ln(c)## is that they could take it inside the logarithm when simplifying their expression. Again, the expressions are completely equivalent.

Gotcha. I mean it makes sense now that I think about it... thank you brother.

Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement

Attached is a picture..

the book went from

to

[itex] -u + 2ln(1+u) + ln(x) = ln(c) [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Maybe because it's 5 am and I'm up late and I'm hallucinating, but I always thought the integral of 0 is c, just a constant.

taking the integral of

I get

[itex] (-u + 2 ln(u+1) + c ) + ln(x) + c_2 = c_3 [/itex]

[itex] -u +2ln(u+1) + ln(x) = c_4 [/itex]

The integral of
$$\left(-1 \frac{2}{1+u} \right) du + \frac{1}{dx} = 0$$
is
$$ - 2 \ln(1+u) + \ln(x) = \text{constant}$$
How did you get ##-u + 2 \ln(1+u)?##

Ray Vickson said:
The integral of
is
$$ - 2 \ln(1+u) + \ln(x) = \text{constant}$$
How did you get ##-u + 2 \ln(1+u)?##
If you look at the image, he just copied it wrong. The expression is not
it is
$$\left(-1 + \frac{2}{1+u} \right) du + \frac{1}{dx} = 0$$

It's fixed now in post #1.

Related to Can someone please tell me how my book did this integration

1. How do you measure the success of a book integration?

The success of a book integration can be measured in several ways, including sales numbers, reader feedback, and critical reviews. It is important to consider all of these factors to get a comprehensive understanding of how well the integration was received.

2. What are the key elements of a successful book integration?

A successful book integration should have a seamless integration of the book's content with the platform or device, high user engagement and satisfaction, and an increase in sales or readership. It should also align with the overall goals and objectives of the book and the platform or device it is integrated with.

3. How long does it take to complete a book integration?

The time it takes to complete a book integration can vary depending on the complexity of the book and the platform or device it is being integrated with. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete a successful integration.

4. What are some common challenges faced during book integration?

Some common challenges faced during book integration include technical difficulties, compatibility issues, and maintaining the integrity of the book's content while adapting it to the platform or device. It is important to have a thorough understanding of both the book and the integration platform to overcome these challenges.

5. Are there any best practices for book integration?

Yes, there are several best practices for book integration, including involving the author in the process, conducting thorough testing and quality assurance, and continuously seeking feedback and making improvements. It is also important to have a clear and detailed plan in place before starting the integration process.