Can someone understand this passage of Linear Algebra?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to redo an example from a Linear Algebra textbook and struggling to understand the passage. They are questioning the values given for x1(0) and x2(0) and wondering if they should review previous chapters to better understand the concept. They also mention that the values [1,0]^T and [1,2]^T may have been arbitrarily chosen.
EngPF

Homework Statement

Hello there everybody! I'm reading a Linear Algebra textbook, specifically on LTV systems solutions.
I'm trying to redo this example from the book:

upload_2014-11-13_20-12-2.png

Homework Equations

But I couldn't understand the passage:

upload_2014-11-13_20-12-26.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I mean. x1(0) = 1 and x2(0) = 0? I don't know from where that came from. And then x(t) = [1 0.5t^2]^T ?

I can see from the x1(t) = x1(0) and x2(t) = (1/2)(t^2)x1(0) + x2(0) that

x(t) = [1 0.5t^2]^T [x1(0) x2(0)] <= This I can relate!

But the second one where x(t) = [ 1 2 ]^T I can't understand.

I think it might have been arbitrarily choosen values? Either that or I'm missing some basic concept here. I've tried to get back some pages/chapters but could find the answer for that. Should I study the first chapters all again? (yeah probably I should! =/ )

Anyway, could someone help me to understand this?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EngPF said:

Homework Statement

Hello there everybody! I'm reading a Linear Algebra textbook, specifically on LTV systems solutions.
I'm trying to redo this example from the book:

View attachment 75422

Homework Equations

But I couldn't understand the passage:

View attachment 75423

The Attempt at a Solution

I mean. x1(0) = 1 and x2(0) = 0? I don't know from where that came from. And then x(t) = [1 0.5t^2]^T ?

I can see from the x1(t) = x1(0) and x2(t) = (1/2)(t^2)x1(0) + x2(0) that

x(t) = [1 0.5t^2]^T [x1(0) x2(0)] <= This I can relate!

But the second one where x(t) = [ 1 2 ]^T I can't understand.

I think it might have been arbitrarily choosen values? Either that or I'm missing some basic concept here. I've tried to get back some pages/chapters but could find the answer for that. Should I study the first chapters all again? (yeah probably I should! =/ )

Anyway, could someone help me to understand this?

Thank you very much!

I think you are correct that [1,0]^T and [1,2]^T are arbitrarily chosen linearly independent initial conditions. They didn't 'derive' them.

Last edited:

FAQ: Can someone understand this passage of Linear Algebra?

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, matrices, vectors, and their operations. It is used to solve systems of linear equations and to analyze geometric transformations.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is important because it has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It provides a powerful tool for modeling and solving real-world problems.

3. What are the key concepts in Linear Algebra?

The key concepts in Linear Algebra include vector spaces, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in Linear Algebra.

4. How can I understand a passage of Linear Algebra?

To understand a passage of Linear Algebra, it is important to have a good understanding of the key concepts and their properties. You can also break down the passage into smaller parts and try to relate it to real-world examples or applications. Practice and solving problems can also help improve your understanding.

5. What are some resources for learning Linear Algebra?

There are many resources available for learning Linear Algebra, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group. It is important to find a resource that suits your learning style and to practice regularly to improve your understanding.

Back