Can Space-Time Rip? What Causes Tears & Healing?

In summary: The singularity at the centre of a black hole is a region of space-time where it is impossible to measure the distance to or position of anything because the laws of physics do not apply.
DuckAmuck
If so, what causes it to rip? Does it "heal"? What would a rip look like to us? What is the tension threshold at which spacetime rips? What are the units of this "tension"?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure. I suppose it depends what you mean by ripped. If ripped = infinitely depressed, then I think the answer to this would be yes, as that's a black hole, a "depression" in space time that when light travels along a path through that singularity, it never comes out, presumably because it never reaches the "bottom" of the "depression". At least that's been my interpretation. With this in mind, a singularity would be indistinguishable from a rip. However, I don't think you can talk about "holes" in space-time, as that's pretty meaningless. (There's a region of ? where space-time doesn't exist, so either a region of space, where time doesn't exist, or a region of time where space doesn't exist, or a region of something where neither exists. Doesn't seem to make much sense.)

I think that the singularity at the centre of a black hole is general relativity's way of telling you that it can't describe what's going on there. We need a theory of quantum gravity to describe it properly. So I would be a bit cautious about interpreting it literally as a hole in spacetime.

Not literally, but indistinguishable. If you can differentiate the two. This singularity behaves as a hole would behave, in that light just sort of "disappears", as one would expect to happen with a rip.
Perhaps you are correct about the QG, but I think a proper description of the singularity (yet to come about) would suffice just as well. IMHO.

Related to Can Space-Time Rip? What Causes Tears & Healing?

1. Can space-time actually rip or tear?

Yes, according to the theory of general relativity proposed by Albert Einstein, space-time can rip or tear due to the presence of massive objects and extreme gravitational forces.

2. What causes space-time to rip or tear?

The main cause of space-time ripping or tearing is the presence of massive objects such as black holes or the collision of two neutron stars. This creates strong gravitational forces that can distort and tear space-time.

3. Is space-time tearing permanent?

No, according to the theory of general relativity, space-time is elastic and can heal itself over time. After a space-time tear, the fabric of space-time can gradually return to its original state through a process called gravitational wave production.

4. How long does it take for space-time to heal after a tear?

The healing process of a space-time tear can vary depending on the size and intensity of the tear. Smaller tears can heal in a matter of seconds, while larger tears caused by major cosmic events can take millions or even billions of years to heal.

5. Are there any potential consequences of space-time tearing?

Yes, the tearing of space-time can have significant consequences for the universe. It can create disturbances in the fabric of space-time, disrupt the motion of celestial bodies, and even create gravitational waves that can be detected on Earth.