Can Standing Waves Form with Different Amplitudes or Frequencies?

In summary, A standing wave can be produced with two waves of different Amplitudes and Wavenumbers if the waves have the same frequency but different amplitudes.
pcsx22
I came across a question about wave from univeristy physics (sears n zemansky) and the question was
'can a standing wave.be produced on a string by by superposing two waves traveling in opposite direction with same frequency but different amplitudes? And same amplitude but different frequencies?

I have no idea about this question but i believe two opposite waves of same frequency but different amplitudes can form standing wave..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let me show you some equations and maybe you can answer the question for yourself.

How do we represent a wave with wavenumber k moving to the right at a velocity c? The equation would be:
[tex]\sin(kx-ct)[/tex]
This means we have a sine wave that is periodic in space with a width of one period equal to 2∏/k. However, it's moving to the right at the velocity c.

What if we superpose two waves of equal amplitude and wavenumber, one moving to the right and one moving to the left, both at a velocity c? The combined wave would be:
[tex]\sin(kx-ct)+\sin(kx+ct)[/tex]
If we apply the angle addition formula:
[tex]\sin(kx-ct)+\sin(kx+ct)=[\sin(kx)\cos(ct)-\cos(kx)\sin(ct)]+[\sin(kx)\cos(ct)+\cos(kx)\sin(ct)]=2\sin(kx)\cos(ct)[/tex]
Thus the sum of these two waves is just a sine wave of wavenumber k moving at velocity=0, modulated by the factor cos(ct). It is not moving, the only thing changing is its overall amplitude.

Would the same things hold if the two superposed waves had differing amplitudes or frequencies (wavenumbers)?

Last edited:
So you're saying if two opposite waves of different amplitudes and frequency superimpose, velocity of the resulting wave will not be zero therefore standing wave is not formed?? Correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reflection at an interface will produce a standing wave - it's just that the anti-nodes will not have zero amplitude because a small reflected wave will not produce perfect cancellation of the forward wave. This sort of thing is easiest to observe with EM waves on an RF feeder with a mis-matched load. The 'Voltage Standing Wave Ratio' (VSWR) gets nearer to unity as you improve the match of the load. It used to be the most convenient way of measuring the match but nowadays, the reflection coefficient is often easier to measure. (You can calculate one from the other.)
Google "Slotted Line Feeder"

pcsx22 said:
So u're saying if two opp waves of different amplitude and frequency superimpos, velocity of the resulting wave will not be zero therefore standing wave is not formed?? Correct me if I'm wrong

A standing wave, by definition, is a wave with zero velocity. For a wave to have a well-defined velocity (in the usual sense), you have to be able to write it in the form [itex]A(t)\sin(kx-ct)[/itex], where A(t) is a possibly time-dependent amplitude. In this case, the constant c is the velocity.

The only reason I was able to write the superposition of the two waves in the following way
[tex]\sin(kx-ct)+\sin(kx+ct)=[\sin(kx)\cos(ct)-\cos(kx)\sin(ct)]+[\sin(kx)\cos(ct)+\cos(kx)\sin(ct)]=2\sin(kx)\cos(ct)[/tex]
is a lucky coincidence of the fact that there is exact cancellation between the two terms of the form [itex]\cos(kx)\sin(ct)[/itex]. If we had waves with arbitrary amplitudes A and B and arbitrary wavenumbers j and k moving in opposite directions, then their superposition [itex]A\sin(jx-ct)+B\sin(kx+ct)[/itex] doesn't in general have the exact cancellation and so the wave cannot be written in the form [itex]A(t)\sin(kx-ct)[/itex] required to identify the wave's velocity.

Last edited:
For you can be interesting standing wave of this type:
sin(ω*(x/(c+v) +t) + sin(ω*(x/(c-v) -t)
It is interesting because visually (if you animate) it will not look like standing wave.
But if you look at any particular x point you will find it waves with the same amplitude
like classical standing wave
sin(ω*k*(x/(c) +t) + sin(ω*k*(x/(c) -t), where k = 1/(1-v^2/c^2)

Related to Can Standing Waves Form with Different Amplitudes or Frequencies?

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that is formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This causes the wave to appear stationary, with points of no movement known as nodes and points of maximum movement known as antinodes.

2. How is a standing wave formed?

A standing wave is formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This creates a pattern of nodes and antinodes, as the energy from the two waves continuously cancels each other out and creates stationary points of no movement.

3. What factors affect the formation of standing waves?

The formation of standing waves is affected by several factors, including the frequency and amplitude of the waves, the medium through which the waves are traveling, and the distance between the two waves. These factors determine the specific pattern and shape of the standing wave.

4. What are some real-life examples of standing waves?

Standing waves can be found in various natural and man-made systems, such as musical instruments, microwave ovens, and even on the surface of water. They are also commonly seen in the form of seismic waves during earthquakes and in the vibrations of buildings and bridges.

5. What are the practical applications of standing waves?

Standing waves have several practical applications, including in the field of acoustics for musical instruments and sound systems. They are also used in medical imaging, such as in ultrasound machines, and in industrial processes for measuring the thickness of materials. Additionally, standing waves are important in understanding and predicting natural phenomena, such as earthquakes and ocean waves.