Can Strings Always Split in String Theory?

In summary, the question is whether in bosonic string theory, there are minimum-sized strings that cannot be split further, or if all strings are capable of splitting and joining. It is defined as "possible for a string to split" if there is any non-zero amplitude for splitting, even if it is unlikely. It is requested for references and calculations on the size of strings, particularly in the fermionic case. The suggested minimum size limit for a string is the Planck's length, as proposed in Susskind's lecture on String and M-theory on YouTube.
David Baker
Something that's been unclear to me from the presentations I've seen of interacting string theory:

In a setting like bosonic string theory, where the interactions consist of strings splitting and joining, is it always possible for a string to split? In other words, are there "minimum-sized" strings that cannot be split further, but can only interact by joining? Or is it always possible for every string to enter into either type of interaction?

(For purposes of the question, let's say it's "possible for a string to split" if there's any non-zero amplitude at all for a split, even if splitting is extremely unlikely.)

Edit to add: References would be GREATLY appreciated!

Likes arivero
Physics news on Phys.org
+1 to the question, and I add that I would like to see (read: to be pointed to) some actual calculation of the size of an string, specially in the fermionic case.

PS: as for the answer, my guess is that any point-size string coming out of an interaction will evolve in less than a Planck time to get a size of a Plank length. But again, it should be nice to see that explicitly.

Well I guess the most natural minimum size limit for a string would have to be the Planck's length...Otherwise you are getting a singularity...
At least that's the idea I got from Susskind's lecture on String and M-theory on youtube (although I haven't finished it yet)

Related to Can Strings Always Split in String Theory?

1. Can strings always split in string theory?

No, according to string theory, strings can only split under certain conditions. These conditions include high energy collisions or interactions with other strings.

2. What is string splitting in string theory?

String splitting refers to the process in which a string separates into two or more smaller strings. This can occur during high energy collisions or interactions with other strings.

3. Is string splitting a fundamental concept in string theory?

Yes, string splitting is one of the fundamental principles of string theory. It is essential for understanding the behavior and properties of strings.

4. Can strings merge back together after splitting in string theory?

Yes, strings can merge back together after splitting in string theory. This process is known as string recombination and can occur when the conditions that caused the strings to split are no longer present.

5. How is string splitting related to the idea of extra dimensions in string theory?

String splitting is closely related to the concept of extra dimensions in string theory. In some models, string splitting is believed to occur due to the vibrations of strings in these extra dimensions.