Can Sun Radiation Penetrate Earth's Crust and Alter Rock Composition?

• Thread starter YADA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrino
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of solar radiation on the Earth's crust, specifically in regards to neutrinos. It is mentioned that neutrinos can easily pass through the Earth's crust, with only a small percentage being stopped by the rock. There is also a mention of neutrinos being absorbed by atoms, potentially changing their radioactivity. However, it is noted that this would not have a significant impact on the Earth's composition in a reasonable amount of time. The conversation concludes with an affirmation that the initial questions have been answered.
YADA
I just watched the movie 2012. Now I know it's just a movie and a bit of fantasy.

What I want to know is, is there any type of radiation from the Sun that can penetrate a few miles into the Earth's crust and have some sort of effect on the rock down there. For example, can the amount of radiation in a rock be slowly increased over time only from radiation coming from the Sun? Do neutrinos become trapped in rock a few miles under ground and become detectable?

Thanks for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
neutrinos go through the Earth easily
only a very small percentage of them are stopped by the rock

they aren't trapped as such - they are absorbed by an atom and have an effect, changing the atom

Thanks mgb_phys. I read somewhere that the amount of solar neutrinos hitting the side of the Earth facing the Sun are about the same as those being detected on the far side of the Earth. Thanks heaps for the non-technical answer.

Does the change in the atom change its radioactivity?

Depends on the atom and the energy of the neutrino (they have a wide spectrum).

Generally speaking, even if every single solar neutrino that hit the Earth were to be absorbed, it would take many billions of years to have any appreciable effect on Earth's composition.

Thanks hamster143. I think I can consider my questions answered. Thanks to both of you.

YADA said:
Thanks mgb_phys. I read somewhere that the amount of solar neutrinos hitting the side of the Earth facing the Sun are about the same as those being detected on the far side of the Earth.
correct, there about 50-100,000,000,000 neutrinos per cm^2 per second going through the earth.
The biggest detector is equivalent to 50,000 tons of rock and only detects 100 per year !11

Does the change in the atom change its radioactivity?
they interact with only a very few types of unstable atoms to change them - they don't have much effect on normal atoms.

Related to Can Sun Radiation Penetrate Earth's Crust and Alter Rock Composition?

What is a neutrino?

A neutrino is a subatomic particle that has no electric charge and a very small mass. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe and is produced by nuclear reactions in stars and other high-energy processes.

Why is it called a "dumb" neutrino question?

The term "dumb" in this context refers to a question that may seem simple or basic to some, but is actually important and worth asking. It is not meant to be derogatory towards the person asking the question.

What are the properties of neutrinos?

Neutrinos have a very small mass, are electrically neutral, and interact only weakly with other particles. They also have a very small cross-section, meaning they can pass through matter without interacting with it.

How are neutrinos detected?

Neutrinos are detected using large, specialized detectors such as the Super-Kamiokande in Japan or the IceCube in Antarctica. These detectors use various methods, such as measuring the faint flashes of light produced when a neutrino collides with a particle in the detector.

What is the significance of studying neutrinos?

Studying neutrinos can help us better understand the fundamental particles and forces that govern the universe. They also play a crucial role in processes such as nuclear fusion in stars and can provide insight into the evolution of the universe. Additionally, studying neutrinos can help us better understand the origins and behavior of matter and antimatter.