Can the Asus EeePC X101CH handle Matlab?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Log
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary: I've never had any problems with it. The dual core 1.6 ghz Atom is more than adequate for most tasks.In summary, the laptop seems to be adequate for doing student-level calculations and simple programming, but may not be able to handle more complex tasks.
Log
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting this laptop, it's small and cheap. I hope it's good enough for doing student-level calculations in Matlab, perhaps some simple programming, surfing, writing documents in Word etc.

Anyone tried Matlab on one of these?

I currently have a laptop but I'm so used to it being "stationary" and I feel like it's too clumsy to carry around.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_PC_X101CH/#specifications

It has a 1.6 ghz dual core atom processor, should be enough for smaller calculations right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The specifications seem to be identical to the one I was looking at.

So how small calculations are we talking about?

From what I've been reading it seems that the biggest problem might be that it only has 1 gb ram. I was thinking of installing Windows 8 and the latest version of Matlab. The largest calculations I've done so far in Matlab is just with some vectors of size ~30'000, using Fourier transforms and such. My current laptop does this in a second. Think this laptop could handle that sort of calculations?

I've been looking around and found a laptop equipped with a i5 ivy bridge cpu and 4 gb ram for 3 times the price, not sure if it's worth the price just for doing some occasional work.

Last edited:
I've run MATLAB on my eeePC 900. R2012a runs decently on Gentoo with 2 GB of RAM.

I use the eeePC as my "travel" laptop.

FAQ: Can the Asus EeePC X101CH handle Matlab?

1. What is Matlab and how does it work on the Asus EeePC X101CH?

Matlab is a programming language and software environment commonly used in scientific and engineering fields for data analysis, modeling, and simulation. It can be installed and run on the Asus EeePC X101CH, a budget-friendly netbook, by following the installation instructions provided by MathWorks, the company that develops Matlab.

2. Is Matlab compatible with the hardware and operating system of the Asus EeePC X101CH?

Yes, Matlab is compatible with the hardware of the Asus EeePC X101CH, which includes an Intel Atom processor and 1GB of RAM. It can also be installed on the netbook's operating system, which is typically Windows 7 Starter Edition.

3. How much memory and storage space does Matlab require on the Asus EeePC X101CH?

The minimum system requirements for Matlab on the Asus EeePC X101CH are 4GB of RAM and 2GB of free disk space. However, it is recommended to have at least 8GB of RAM and 20GB of free disk space for optimal performance.

4. Can I use Matlab on the Asus EeePC X101CH for computationally intensive tasks?

While the Asus EeePC X101CH is not a high-performance computer, it can still handle some basic computational tasks in Matlab. However, for more complex and demanding tasks, it is recommended to use a more powerful computer with dedicated graphics processing units (GPUs).

5. Are there any limitations to using Matlab on the Asus EeePC X101CH?

One limitation of using Matlab on the Asus EeePC X101CH is its small screen size, which may make it challenging to view and manipulate large amounts of data. Additionally, the netbook's limited processing power and memory may affect the speed and performance of Matlab for more complex tasks.

Back