Can the contour integral of z⁷ be simplified using a parameterized expression?

In summary, the conversation discusses parameterizing ##z## by ##z(t) = 5i + (3 + i - 5i)t## with given initial and final values, and rewriting the contour integral in terms of ##t##. The integral is then simplified using the binomial theorem and binomial coefficients.
Mayhem
Homework Statement
Integrate ##\int_{\Gamma} z^7 dz## along the line ##5i## to ##3 + i##
Relevant Equations
##z = x + iy##
First I parameterize ##z## by ##z(t) = 5i + (3 + i - 5i)t## such that ##z(0) = 5i## and ##z(1) = 3 + i##, which means that ##0 \leq t \leq 0## traces the entire line on the complex plane. By distributing ##t##, we achieve a parameterized expression of the form ##z(t) = x(t) + iy(t)##
$$z(t) = 3t + i(5 - 4t)$$

Then to rewrite the contour integral in terms of ##t##, we determine ##dz/dt##
$$\frac{dz}{dt} = 3 - 4i$$
Yielding
$$\int_{\Gamma} z^7 dz = \int_{0}^{1} z^7 \frac{dz}{dt} dt = (3-4i)\int_{0}^{1} (3t + i(4-5t))^7 dt$$

Not sure where to go from here. The naive approach would be to expand the binominal and factor out all constants (including imaginary units ##i##), but that is tedious. Is there a trick? If this was a calc I problem, I'd just do a simple u-substitution, but not sure if the same logic holds when ##i## is involved.

Physics news on Phys.org
Observe that you can rewrite your integral,
$$
I=(3-4i)\int_0^{1} [(3-4i)t + 5i]^7dt
$$
$$
(3-4i)=5e^{-i\tan^{-1}(\frac{4}{3})}=5z_0
$$
Expand the integral with binomial thm,
$$
I=5^8z_0\int_0^{1} [(z_0t + i]^7dt=5^8z_0\sum_{n=0}^{7}\int_0^{1}\begin{pmatrix}
7\\
n
\end{pmatrix} z_0^{n}t^{n} (i)^{7-n}dt
$$

Related to Can the contour integral of z⁷ be simplified using a parameterized expression?

Can the contour integral of z⁷ be simplified using a parameterized expression?

Yes, the contour integral of \( z^7 \) can often be simplified using a parameterized expression, especially if the contour is a simple closed curve like a circle. By parameterizing the contour, the integral can sometimes be evaluated more easily.

What is a common parameterization for a circular contour in the complex plane?

A common parameterization for a circular contour of radius \( R \) centered at the origin is \( z(t) = Re^{it} \), where \( t \) ranges from 0 to \( 2\pi \). This parameterization can simplify the integral by converting it into an integral over the real variable \( t \).

How does parameterization help in evaluating the contour integral of z⁷?

Parameterization helps by transforming the complex integral into a real integral. For example, if the contour is a circle of radius \( R \), the parameterization \( z(t) = Re^{it} \) converts the integral \( \int_C z^7 \, dz \) into \( \int_0^{2\pi} (Re^{it})^7 \cdot iRe^{it} \, dt \), which simplifies the evaluation process.

What is the result of the contour integral of z⁷ around a closed curve enclosing the origin?

According to the Cauchy Integral Theorem, if \( z^7 \) is analytic inside and on the closed contour that encloses the origin, the integral \( \int_C z^7 \, dz \) is zero. This is because \( z^7 \) is an entire function (analytic everywhere in the complex plane), and the integral of an analytic function over a closed curve is zero.

Can the contour integral of z⁷ be non-zero for any contour?

The contour integral of \( z^7 \) around a closed curve that does not enclose any singularities (and \( z^7 \) has no singularities) will always be zero due to the Cauchy Integral Theorem. However, if the contour is not closed or if it encloses points where the function is not analytic, the integral could be non-zero, but those scenarios are less common for the function \( z^7 \).