Can the derivative of the given integral be simplified to -A?

In summary, a trigonometric identity is an equation that is always true for any value of the variables involved and is used to establish relationships between different trigonometric functions. Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions, solve equations, and prove other mathematical concepts. To prove a trigonometric identity, algebraic manipulation and properties of trigonometric functions are used to show that one side of the equation is equal to the other side. Real-world applications of trigonometric identities include engineering, physics, astronomy, navigation, surveying, and computer graphics.
Suvadip
Can it be proved?
\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A}\right)\cos\left(\frac{A}{2}\right)\tan^{-1}\left[\cos \left(\frac{A}{2}\right)\right]=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
suvadip said:
Can it be proved?
\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A}\right)\cos\left(\frac{A}{2}\right)\tan^{-1}\left[\cos \left(\frac{A}{2}\right)\right]=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

Hi suvadip, :)

This trigonometric identity is not valid. For example substituting \(A=\dfrac{\pi}{2}\) we get zero in the right hand side whereas \(-\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\tan^{-1}\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\neq 0\) on the right hand side.

Sudharaka said:
Hi suvadip, :)

This trigonometric identity is not valid. For example substituting \(A=\dfrac{\pi}{2}\) we get zero in the right hand side whereas \(-\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\tan^{-1}\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\neq 0\) on the right hand side.

Please look at the attached sheet. How to reach the final answer

Attachments

• ArcSoft_Image2.jpg
    ArcSoft_Image2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 88
suvadip said:
Please look at the attached sheet. How to reach the final answer

Your attachment is not very clear and I cannot read it. If you can post a more clear attachment or write down the equations using LaTeX I would perhaps be able to help. :)

Sudharaka said:
Your attachment is not very clear and I cannot read it. If you can post a more clear attachment or write down the equations using LaTeX I would perhaps be able to help. :)
I have to prove
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{log(1+cosA cosx)}{cosx}dx=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

I have arrived at

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dA}(I)=-sinA \int_0^1\frac{2}{1+cosA +(1-cos A)z^2}dz\) where I is the given integral. Am I correct so far and how to proceed at the answer from there? I have used the Leibnitz's rule for differentiation under the sign of integration.

suvadip said:
I have to prove
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{log(1+cosA cosx)}{cosx}dx=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

I have arrived at

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dA}(I)=-sinA \int_0^1\frac{2}{1+cosA +(1-cos A)z^2}dz\)

How do you get this? After differentiating wrt A, I get,
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{-\sin A}{1+\cos A \cos x}dx$$
Can you integrate $\frac{dx}{1+a\cos x}$? Hint: Use $\cos x=\frac{1-\tan^2(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)}$.

EDIT: I see that you already tried that. Try this, it makes the algebra a bit easier to handle.
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{-\sin A}{1+\cos A \cos x}dx=\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{-\sin A}{1+\cos A \sin x}dx$$
Use $\sin x=\frac{2\tan(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)}$ to get
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=-\sin A\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\sec^2(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)+2\cos A\tan(x/2)}dx$$
Use the substitution $\tan(x/2)=t$,
$$\Rightarrow \frac{dI}{dA}=-2\sin A\int_0^1 \frac{dt}{t^2+2t\cos A+1}=-2\sin A\int_0^1 \frac{dt}{(t+\cos A)^2+\sin^2A}$$
I suppose you can solve after this. :)

Last edited:
suvadip said:
I have to prove
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{\log(1+\cos A \cos x)}{\cos x}dx=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

I have arrived at

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dA}(I)=-\sin A \int_0^1\frac{2}{1+\cos A +(1-\cos A)z^2}dz\) where I is the given integral. Am I correct so far and how to proceed at the answer from there? I have used the Leibnitz's rule for differentiation under the sign of integration.
You are correct so far (having differentiated under the integral sign and then made the substitution $z = \tan(x/2)$). The next step is to write this as $$\frac{d}{dA}(I)=\frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A} \int_0^1\frac{1}{z^2 +\frac{1+\cos A}{1-\cos A}}dz.$$ Now use the fact that \(\displaystyle \frac{1+\cos A}{1-\cos A} = \cot^2(A/2)\) to get $$\frac{d}{dA}(I)= \frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A} \int_0^1\frac{1}{z^2 +\cot^2(A/2)}dz = \frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A} \Bigl[\tan(A/2)\arctan\bigl(z\tan(A/2)\bigr)\Bigr]_0^1 = \frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A}\frac A2\tan(A/2)$$ (provided that $|A| < \pi$, so that $\arctan\bigl(\tan(A/2)\bigr) = A/2$). Using half-angle formulas again, you can write this as $$\frac{\frac{-2}{1+\tan^2(A/2)}}{1- \frac{1-\tan^2(A/2)}{1+\tan^2(A/2)}}A\tan(A/2) = \frac{-A\tan(A/2)}{\tan^2(A/2)} = -A\cot(A/2).$$ If that last expression was just $A$ (without the $\cot(A/2)$) then you could integrate it to get $-A^2/2$ which, together with the initial value $0$ when $A = \pi/2$, would give the formula that you are looking for.

But, unless I have made some silly mistake, that extra $\cot(A/2)$ is there, and that gives a function $-A\cot(A/2)$ that does not have an elementary integral.

Hi Opalg! :)

I am not sure but I seem to be getting the final answer. If the integral I reached is evaluated further, I get
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=2\left(\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\cos A}{\sin A}\right)-\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1+\cos A}{\sin A}\right)\right)$$
Using the formula for $\tan^{-1}a-\tan^{-1}b$, I simplified it to
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=-A$$
Please check if I did anything wrong, thank you. :)

Last edited:
Pranav said:
Hi Opalg! :)

I am not sure but I seem to be getting the final answer. If the integral I reached is evaluated further, I get
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=2\left(\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\cos A}{\sin A}\right)-\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1+\cos A}{\sin A}\right)\right)$$
Using the formula for $\tan^{-1}a-\tan^{-1}b$, I simplified it to
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=-A$$
Please check if I did anything wrong, thank you. :)
I'm very willing to believe that you're right, but I'll leave it to the OP to sort out the details. (Wink)

Related to Can the derivative of the given integral be simplified to -A?

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is always true for any value of the variables involved. It is used to establish relationships between different trigonometric functions.

What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include: the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify complex trigonometric expressions, solve equations, and prove other mathematical concepts.

How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must use algebraic manipulation and properties of trigonometric functions to show that one side of the equation is equal to the other side. This involves substituting values, factoring, and using trigonometric identities.

What are some real-world applications of trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. They are also used in navigation, surveying, and computer graphics.